E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment w/Hunter KDS Laser

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Replaced all my bushings in the past two weeks for front and rear suspension. I did my Tie Rod ends last. Took about 15 min for both sides, extremely easy. I did not really feel the NEED an alignment but I've been driving BMW's exclusively for the last decade and know about the "domino effect" phenomenon they're burdened by. So, dealer tried to charge me $249.99 out the door and I started probing him for his equipment and so forth. That's extremely ridiculous. So I found that TIres Plus carries same Hunter KDS Laser Alignment machine and so I went there for their "exotic" alignment which was about $124.00 for life (and high speed balance but not road force).....since I do my wheels Road Force, and just did them a few weeks ago, I passed on that. I found a coupon online and when I gave it to the guy he gave me $25 off, so Total Cost was $96 out the door and they'll redo it as needed for free.

So I go the tie rod end close but NOT perfect! AND all my bushings have probably settled. Good stuff!

coupon: http://www.tiresplus.com/popup.jsp?image=4782
Alignment w/Hunter KDS Laser-alignment-readings.jpg

Old 12-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

They really need a Tires Plus in Southern California at that price! Damn!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

Actually, call around man some shops may have this equipment. I choose them because they're not far from me. Perhaps some other shops do too.

You'll notice on the printouts that it states 18" wheels. I chose that because OEM were 18" 123's and so I went with the OEM specs which really shouldn't deviate if you just swapped wheels. Actually the offsets brought my camber a bit more positive than OEM which is good for wear on my tires... I had them leave the camber alone.

Oh, and I put some tape on my steering wheel column upper and attached it to my cluster when the wheel was perfectly straight then I sliced it. I told him when the tape end line up, it's straight. LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Replaced all my bushings in the past two weeks for front and rear suspension. I did my Tie Rod ends last. Took about 15 min for both sides, extremely easy. I did not really feel the NEED an alignment but I've been driving BMW's exclusively for the last decade and know about the "domino effect" phenomenon they're burdened by. So, dealer tried to charge me $249.99 out the door and I started probing him for his equipment and so forth. That's extremely ridiculous. So I found that TIres Plus carries same Hunter KDS Laser Alignment machine and so I went there for their "exotic" alignment which was about $124.00 for life (and high speed balance but not road force).....since I do my wheels Road Force, and just did them a few weeks ago, I passed on that. I found a coupon online and when I gave it to the guy he gave me $25 off, so Total Cost was $96 out the door and they'll redo it as needed for free.

So I go the tie rod end close but NOT perfect! AND all my bushings have probably settled. Good stuff!

coupon: http://www.tiresplus.com/popup.jsp?image=4782

Hey boss, you are very nowledgeable. Pleaes help me understand a few things:

- 'domino effect" phenomenon: What exactly are you referring to? Poor alignments, other than unfriendly steering, lower gas mileage and premature wear on tires, what else could go wrong?
- Hunter KDS Laser Alignment machine: Are these the high end ones used by the dealership? That's awesome that they performed Caster/Camber/Toe on your alignment. Last time I got an alignment, I think they only did the Toes(not my E60).

I need to find myself a reputable shop to perform alignments.

Thank you sir!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Members

Well the 'domino effect' as I call it, is when you have an issue such as a bushing that needs replaced that causes slop and is not repaired in a timely manner then causes other parts like ball joints and so forth to go bad. Or say for instance you have a bent rim or a non-hubcentric which will eventually cause cracks in bushings or make ball-joints wear pre-maturely...or even a driveshaft guibo disc that causes the driveshaft to become sloppy which ruins the driveshaft or throws its way back to the differential. These are just examples. There are too many to name.

With an alignment issue you could have premature wear on tires, and other suspension/braking components No cambering was done on my alignment.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Members

man u just saved me about 200$, i was about to pay 958$ for 2 rear tires from firestone with labor and life alignments but instead i read ur tread and i did some research and end up ordering tires from discount tire direct and i have a shop that u recomended near by so
Old 01-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Actually the offsets brought my camber a bit more positive than OEM which is good for wear on my tires... I had them leave the camber alone.
Wheel offset doesn't affect camber and some how both your right front and back increased in negative camber. Cross camber is the difference between the left and right which is what you mistaken as more positive camber.

Glad that you were able to avoid the stealership's gouging. We have a place in Houston that has 4-6 Hunter machines and they'll align pretty much anything with wheels for under $100.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

Can the alignment on the Hunter Laser machines be performed on an E60 with Active Steering? Does that matter? How does straightening the steering wheel work out with regards to alignment and Active Steering? My steering wheel is cockeyed to the left. Although the car drives straight, this has always bothered me. The BMW dealer put the steering wheel this way years ago. For some reason, the computer at BMW said that the steering was 'straight' at this angle with the steering wheel cockeyed slightly to the left. I was in the car with the tech and witnessed it myself. I didn't argue too much at the time as the car did/does drive straight, but i'm wondering how everything fits together with regards to the steering wheel alignment, Active Steering, and suspension alignment. Thoughts?