E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alignment myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:39 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by H F
Its 200 lbs of total weight....
No, it is 476 lbs of total weight plus full fuel tank for BMW E60/E61 (and some other models).
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyb635
...I am curious though as to why the factory does not use weights but service does.
I wrote about this.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by Laco19
No, it is 476 lbs of total weight plus full fuel tank for BMW E60/E61 (and some other models).
I was refuring to actuall weights added inside the car.. Ya,,,, plus gas weight is about that
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

If you are using spacers, you need to have the wheels balanced with the spacers. Most shops won't do it, but it changes the weight placement in the computation of the weight needed.

When they balance the tires without the spacers (say you use 10mm spacers), the machine asks for the distance from the edge of the balancer to the inner lip of the wheel. Then after balancing the wheel this way you install it 10mm further on the car. That makes the wheel weights on the car rotating at a different plane than what was calculated by the machine.

I hope I am explaining this well.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by RIHI
If you are using spacers, you need to have the wheels balanced with the spacers. Most shops won't do it, but it changes the weight placement in the computation of the weight needed.

When they balance the tires without the spacers (say you use 10mm spacers), the machine asks for the distance from the edge of the balancer to the inner lip of the wheel. Then after balancing the wheel this way you install it 10mm further on the car. That makes the wheel weights on the car rotating at a different plane than what was calculated by the machine.

I hope I am explaining this well.
sigh, obviously you didn't read because I did not mention that I had spacers!

Originally Posted by H F
Did u go go thru 4 sets of spacer rings ? Or 4 sets of hub rings ?
I have no idea what spacer rings are. I would never use spacers as I know how to buy the correct wheel im looking for. 4 sets of spigot rings.

I'll give this subject to whomever wants it. I'm out...
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i Sport

Originally Posted by Laco19
I read this in service manuals. There are two different methods for wheel alignment:

- without any preload, but serviceman must enter the front and rear ride heights, tread depths, tyre pressure, etc. to alignment machine. I thing that this method is used only by dealerships with special alignment machines and that this machines recalculate measured angles from unloaded position defined by entered data to preloaded "design position", because the wheel alignment by this method is done via BMW table for loaded car in "design position".
This method can't be used for M models or if there are any problems with ride heights (difference side to side).

- Second method is done with specified preload 3 x 68kg (3x150lbs), 21kg (26 lbs) in trunk and full fuel tank. This is "normal position" in BMW terminology. In this position ride heights must be in 10mm tolerance to BMW table. But the setting should be done in the "design position" - by distributing loads and adding additional small loads, the ride height within 2mm tolerance should be aquired. Before setting to "design position", the fuse for air spring system must be removed (if equiped). Now, wheel alignment is made by the same BMW table as in the method without any load.

Has anyone seen doing wheel alignment precisely by this method? Or the serviceman just put some 4 loads with random weight to car and began to make the setting?

Sorry to be bringing up such an old post, but I'm trying to get some advice on a proper BMW alignment. Is the first method used only used by BMW dealers? I just had an indy tire dealer with Hunter alignment equipment perform an alignment after I replced my OEM Dunlop RFT's on my 2008 528i Sport. Although they say it within spec, the car's original handling is gone. The rear end is bouncing all over the place and it is pulling very slightly to the right. I am considering talking it to my local BMW dealer to perform the alignment again just to get it right.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by Bmrboy2008; 01-03-2014 at 12:46 PM.