E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alignment with Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fnc
Active steering vehicles will have to be commisioned after an alignment. You will need a BMW scan tool to do so. This is more complicated than only a SAS alignment, however if you have the proper scan tool it involves pushing buttons and backing away from the vehicle while it does its dance.
Please show us the service bulletin that outlines the fact that " Active steering vehicles will have to be commisioned after an alignment " Because I have never had to initiate the active steering relearn unless a sensor component or module from the active steering was rr'ed or the battery was disconnected or replaced, or for Active steering modules reflashes. The active steering initiation process requires that you 1) have the key in the ignition in the koeo position, turn the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back to center, then remove key for 30 seconds before normal operation. You have quite an imagination if you think that an autologic or a gt1 is capable of commanding a car to hop or do the c-walk from " pushing buttons. "

Originally Posted by fryeje
Great advise 5FOUR5. Wondering if you have specs to reduce noise due to "cupping" the front tires on an '05 545i Sport Package. On the 3rd set of fronts (that I know of). Just had the alignment done recently by a good quality shop but think it's out again. I have read other posts that say the sport is prone to needing alignment and wondering if I should by the tools to set up in my garage to do it if it will need to be done regularly. I'm running General Exclaim UHP's this time that I believe are softer than the Dunlop SP01 run flats that came from the factory. That may be contributing to the tire wear but the Dunlops also wore to the point of noisey cupping on the inner and outer tread blocks. I know the toe and camber near zero is best for tire wear but sacrifices some handling. Not sure how much caster contributes to tire wear but creates some force so it could be minimal. Appreciate any advise you can provide.
General exclaims are great tires that are very comparable to mich ps2's according to user reviews. I don't think that they are the cause of the premature tire wear that you are experiencing. 3 front sets of tires in 20k miles is certainly abnormal, unless a) you are an aggresive driver, b) you are running with incorrect tire pressures c) there are failing suspension components. It would help greatly if you could post you previous alignment report, along with a picture of the current condition of your tire(s) for an accurate diagnosis. I suspect that your alignment tech may have skipped a few steps during you pre-alignment inspection. If the inspection was performed properly, I would like to see the measurements on your ride height. Because the weight of the car is always resting on them, springs tend to sag as a car ages. Alignment specs are based off the assumption that the cars ride height is correct. If an alignment is adjusted on a vehicle with springs that have sagged beyond spec, tire wear and unusual handling can result. What you are describing to me is the result of toe wear which could be the result of failing suspension components ( springs, control arm bushing, tie rod bushings, ball joints ). On a rear wheel drive car the right front tire tends to toe in more than the left. The outside edge wears because the tire is rolling under. The left wheel will roll under if toed out. Toe-out results in left front wheel wear to the inside edge. If your last alignment was was performed with new tires that you purchased through them, then you may still have a warranty, bring your car back and have them re-do the pre-alignment inspection. I can give you the specs, and you can go buy the 24mm wrenches, steering wheel holder, brake holder needed to perform the physical adjustments, but how much are you willing to spend for the specialized gauges to measure SAI, what are you going to use as a skid pad? We are talking quite an investment here. When I was part of a pit crew down at laguna seca and fontana speedway, I performed a few eyeball (literally) alignments when suspension component(s) were damaged during the race, but they were guesses at best. You've gone through 3 sets of front tires in 20k miles. The costs of those tires and the alignment service have exceeded the costs of 1 properly performed alignment which should last you 4-5+ years under normal driving conditions. I would not recommend that you guess without proper training. At $60-$240, peace of my is PRICELESS.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

i did mine myself at work. No special tools at all (other than alignment machine). Car goes straight as an arrow.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

Originally Posted by 5FOUR5
Please show us the service bulletin that outlines the fact that " Active steering vehicles will have to be commisioned after an alignment " Because I have never had to initiate the active steering relearn unless a sensor component or module from the active steering was rr'ed or the battery was disconnected or replaced, or for Active steering modules reflashes. The active steering initiation process requires that you 1) have the key in the ignition in the koeo position, turn the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back to center, then remove key for 30 seconds before normal operation. You have quite an imagination if you think that an autologic or a gt1 is capable of commanding a car to hop or do the c-walk from " pushing buttons. "

General exclaims are great tires that are very comparable to mich ps2's according to user reviews. I don't think that they are the cause of the premature tire wear that you are experiencing. 3 front sets of tires in 20k miles is certainly abnormal, unless a) you are an aggresive driver, b) you are running with incorrect tire pressures c) there are failing suspension components. It would help greatly if you could post you previous alignment report, along with a picture of the current condition of your tire(s) for an accurate diagnosis. I suspect that your alignment tech may have skipped a few steps during you pre-alignment inspection. If the inspection was performed properly, I would like to see the measurements on your ride height. Because the weight of the car is always resting on them, springs tend to sag as a car ages. Alignment specs are based off the assumption that the cars ride height is correct. If an alignment is adjusted on a vehicle with springs that have sagged beyond spec, tire wear and unusual handling can result. What you are describing to me is the result of toe wear which could be the result of failing suspension components ( springs, control arm bushing, tie rod bushings, ball joints ). On a rear wheel drive car the right front tire tends to toe in more than the left. The outside edge wears because the tire is rolling under. The left wheel will roll under if toed out. Toe-out results in left front wheel wear to the inside edge. If your last alignment was was performed with new tires that you purchased through them, then you may still have a warranty, bring your car back and have them re-do the pre-alignment inspection. I can give you the specs, and you can go buy the 24mm wrenches, steering wheel holder, brake holder needed to perform the physical adjustments, but how much are you willing to spend for the specialized gages to measure SAI, what are you going to use as a skid pad? We are talking quite an investment here. When I was part of a pit crew down at laguna seca and fontana speedway, I performed a few eyeball (literally) alignments when suspension component(s) were damaged during the race, but they were guesses at best. You've gone through 3 sets of front tires in 20k miles. The costs of those tires and the alignment service have exceeded the costs of 1 properly performed alignment which should last you 4-5+ years under normal driving conditions. I would not recommend that you guess without proper training. At $60-$240, peace of my is PRICELESS.
Sorry didn't mean to indicate 3 sets of tires since I bought the car but since new. Last alignment was $120 & brought all measurements within spec but not perfectly symmetrical. I'll find the report and post the numbers along with pics and tread measurements.

The question is how long the alignment will hold. "Normal conditions" here seem to have lots of expansion gaps and pot holes. I remember reading about tire wear problems with the new '04 & '05 545's and wondered if anyone is experiencing continued problems with theirs. I can buy laser toe & camber gauges from a couple sources and an old style caster gage for a little bit more. I'll build "skid pad" from bearings and plates if I need to. Though I'm not a professional, I don't consider myself a novice mechanic either. I've been setting toe and checking camber on my other vehicles for years.

Tires now are very noisy and vibration is noticeable when braking easily to a stop. The noise is very irritating especially on this kind of car (not a 4X4 with mud tires you know). I don't want to replace tires frequently or to have the alignment done every few months or I'll be at $500 to $700 per year just for this. I can buy gauges and do it myself monthly if needed for that much. The real issues is what is causing the wear and how to correct it.

Thanks for you help