E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to reduce my negative camber, in the rear, to -.5. I have called many reputable shops including national names. I've been told by some that they require 100 lbs. sand bags in each of 4 seats and one in the trunk. I've been told most shops do not have the ability to make the mandatory steering sensor adjustments. I've been told it may negate some portion of my warranty. I've been told you cannot obtain -.5 in the rear without a Camber Kit.

The price for a 4 point alignment ranges from $44.99 at Firestone to $129.00 at the BMW dealership.

I find much of this hard to believe but I just don't know enough about the subject. Thus, this post. I've spent considerable time using the "Search" feature but I can't find these subjects addressed. Thanks for any feedback.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

If a dealer will actually reduce the camber to 0.5 for $129.00 I'd totally go for it. But if all they are going to do is a toe change for that price...
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
hmc
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i Sport Pkg, 6MT

I think use of sand bags is to simulate normal/average load on the car because alignment does change on weight. If you mostly drive by yourself only for example, you should sit in the car without any sand bags when alignment is being done.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GregBrand
I want to reduce my negative camber, in the rear, to -.5. I have called many reputable shops including national names. I've been told by some that they require 100 lbs. sand bags in each of 4 seats and one in the trunk. I've been told most shops do not have the ability to make the mandatory steering sensor adjustments. I've been told it may negate some portion of my warranty. I've been told you cannot obtain -.5 in the rear without a Camber Kit.

The price for a 4 point alignment ranges from $44.99 at Firestone to $129.00 at the BMW dealership.

I find much of this hard to believe but I just don't know enough about the subject. Thus, this post. I've spent considerable time using the "Search" feature but I can't find these subjects addressed. Thanks for any feedback.
I just have that job done on my 06 because I have staggered wheels and my rear tires were wearing out prematurely inside. I did not notice at beginning when I first purchased the wheels and it cost me a set of tires few months later. Then I started to search around and I found a camber kit in a parts supplier named Bavauto. They sell the kit that compensates for the negative camber that our cars are set from factory (-2.0). Other member from this forum from Colorado stated that he had it in his car and he has gained about 20K more miles in his tires by correcting the camber. I had some negative comments here about losing the grasp in our suspension but from my own experience so far the suspension handling is about the same, one thing that it is my case I drive fast but I don't race my car. I have taken curves at 90 mph and the car handles very well. My rear tires are now set at -0.4 camber and something you can see right away after the kit was installed and also the way the tire seats in the ground. the tires are much more vertical preventing the premature wear.
Before I had the job done I checked out in the local BMW dealer and they do not do alignments to your request (-0.5), They set it up to factory. So I looked around for a shop that could swap the off centric bushings kit and that could do alignment too. I am very happy with the results. Total investment was 300 dlls kit and 300 dlls for installation and alignment. Worth it every penny. Just my 2 cents in this topic.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Members

Excellent well written informative post! I also have staggered and have never lowered. If the -.5 negative camber cannot be achieved with stock factory 2008 setup then I will certainly purchase the plates you recommended. I was under the impression the 2008 OEM setup allowed that adjustment. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I doubt that BMW will adjust your camber for you. Most likely BMW will require a kit to do this. Not sure why you would want to do this. You will have uneven wear on your tires. are you doing this due to rubbing reasons or racing?

Check out KMAC Rear Camber kit....

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...0&subcat_id=64

But then again why would you want to do this? I've done this on E46 for wider tires by rotating the strut bearings
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW's negative camber on these cars should not cause any inside wear-I have had 3 sests of tires over 4 years and not once has the inside edge wore early.You likely have the PSI too lose or else the other parts of the alignment were not correct while driving. The negative camber is not enough to wear out the tire that early-why would mine have no wear at all on the insides v. the out-the same. I keep my psi 38front 42 rear and have 19s with 245 front and 285 rear
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Members

Appreciate your comments. They are encouraging. I have 275 x 40 Pilot Sport Plus with 12mm spacers on my rear. I believe this is the widest tire I can fit on 124s without any mods.

I rarely have anyone else in the car. I have always had factory spec alignment on this 2008 535. I am seeing early wear on the tire insides. That is why I am considering dropping the -2.2 negative factory camber to -.5.

My BMW dealer said it is being asked to do this "all the time" and it obliges its customers accordingly.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Are you sure you want to go to -0.5?

That's almost 0 degree w/o any camber at all and will reduce the handling when you need it the most (swerve hitting a pot hole / avoid an accident)

I reduced my rear to -1.5 to -1.75 w/o camber kit and I think it's a good mid point for my driving style.
OE -2.2 is too much IMHO.

OR you can go -1.25 to -1.5 instead if you don't consider yourself an aggressive driver at all.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Members

Good advice, Salaki. Thanks.