E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alarm sounding when opening trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Twice now my alarm has sounded when I open the trunk with the release button on the key fob. As far as I know, this should not happen and usually doesn't, even though I have not unlocked the car. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

you might be holding the release button down a little too long, the trunk release button on the keyfob is also the panic button if you hold it down for more than a couple of seconds. I think the delay got changed a bit on a software update as it now seems to take a bit longer to set off the panic alarm than it did when I first got the car. I actually set mine off today by accident and haven't done that in months......
Old 07-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Jul 20 2005, 11:00 PM
you might be holding the release button down a little too long, the trunk release button on the keyfob is also the panic button if you hold it down for more than a couple of seconds.? I think the delay got changed a bit on a software update as it now seems to take a bit longer to set off the panic alarm than it did when I first got the car.? I actually set mine off today by accident and haven't done that in months......
[snapback]151467[/snapback]
Hmm, that might be, but if I am activating the panic mode, shouldn't the trunk remain closed? ie. it should either open the trunk or activate the panic mode, but not both? Or perhaps its designed so trunk flips open upon panic signal so you can reach in and get your pistol quicker
Old 07-21-2005, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I still think it's panic related even though the trunk is opening.

Check out the following and the link contained in it...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=34249
Old 07-21-2005, 04:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I imagine that you have gone through the trunk open process and continued on to the panic mode. The car does not know you want to skip the trunk open process (the shorter press of the button) when you continue to press too long. So yes you will get an open trunk and panic mode if pressed too long.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, Heads-up

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Jul 21 2005, 01:55 AM
Twice now my alarm has sounded when I open the trunk with the release button on the key fob.? As far as I know, this should not happen and usually doesn't, even though I have not unlocked the car.? Anyone else have this problem?
[snapback]151464[/snapback]
The same thing has happened to me a few time. I think it is software related...if you look in your manual or the video, you are told to use you door unlock button to deactivate your alarm before you open your trunk.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I am quite sure this is a software problem. After a year with the car I never had a problem opening the trunk using the key fob until CIP 16x upgrade. The alsrm now sounds one in 20 tries.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

you might be holding the release button down a little too long, the trunk release button on the keyfob is also the panic button if you hold it down for more than a couple of seconds.
Or it might just be that setting the Alarm Panic button to be the same as the Trunk Release is about the dumbest fvcking idea I've ever heard of.

The Panic Button should be it's own button, like a Lexus.... or at worst, the Lock button, held down for 3 seconds.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Jul 21 2005, 09:38 PM
Or it might just be that setting the Alarm Panic button to be the same as the Trunk Release is about the dumbest fvcking idea I've ever heard of.

The Panic Button should be it's own button, like a Lexus....? or at worst, the Lock button, held down for 3 seconds.
[snapback]151725[/snapback]
I have to agree -- as streamlined as the fob is without extra buttons, a recessed, red panic button is smarter. Ask 9 out of 10 BMW owners (2 out of 10 forum members, of course) and I'll bet they don't even know there is a panic button on the remote...

Of all the things to hide away -- in an emergency or panic situation, you shouldn't have to remember that hidden, unlabeled, little known feature of the remote!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
Contributors

funny story about that:

when the sales guy was explaining this feature to me when i bought my car, i had to do a double take.

"...so you're telling me that i hold it for a couple of seconds, the trunk opens... but hold it longer, the alarm comes on?"

we looked at each other, then burst out laughing. even he agreed it was idiotic.

and don't get me started on the portable flashlight. the emergency is over before you can even yank that thing out or put it back in!

Quick Reply: Alarm sounding when opening trunk