E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

My alarm keeps going off and waking the neighbors. From what I can determine
this happens when I lock the car from the Key and I do not hear the audiable confirmation that the car is locked. That is to say, when I press to lock I am not hearing anything nor do I see the lights flash. After about 10 mins the alarm
sounds.. When I press to unlock the car the lights flash and I hear a double beep.

This is happening at random. At times when I press the lock button on key I hear and see the confirmation and alarm remains silent then at other times no audiable or visual confirmation that car is locked although I can see all doors are locked and then after awhile alarm sounds. I tried using my spare key and same thing is happening.

I anyone can help , I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sounds strange...there is a setting in iDrive that allows you to choose whether or not the car will give a confirmation tone and/or flash. I'm not sure but that setting may be something each key can have unique settings for so maybe that explains why sometimes you hear a tone and sometimes you don't? (One key is set to flash/chirp and one is set to not flash/chirp.)

As for the alarm going off randomly, are you certain you're not putting the keys in your back pocket or somewhere that might be activating the panic feature?

(click here for information about the panic feature)
Old 07-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 16 2005, 09:34 PM
Sounds strange...there is a setting in iDrive that allows you to choose whether or not the car will give a confirmation tone and/or flash.? I'm not sure but that setting may be something each key can have unique settings for so maybe that explains why sometimes you hear a tone and sometimes you don't?? (One key is set to flash/chirp and one is set to not flash/chirp.)

As for the alarm going off randomly, are you certain you're not putting the keys in your back pocket or somewhere that might be activating the panic feature?

(click here for information about the panic feature)
[snapback]149885[/snapback]
No Rudy, keys were on the table so for sure not the Panic Button. Same thing happened to me last night while at someones house in a quite residential area. I had my car in for service (for a change) earlier this week. They changed the steering column and all the door seals. They must have buggered something up. Around 30 mins ago I unlocked and then relocked the car and the lights flashed and the chirp sounded and then after around 20 mins the alarm again went off. So now I give up and am leaving the car unlocked and with any luck someone will put me out of my misery and steal the car.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:17 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by gabman' date='Jul 16 2005, 10:14 PM
So now I give up and am leaving the car unlocked and with any luck someone will put me out of my? misery and steal the car.
[snapback]149898[/snapback]
Is it possible that is what is setting off the alarm?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:32 AM
Members

I've had false alarms about 10 times sofar. Summer time has been alarm-free, since last one occured 16.5. Before that, a little over 1 fault in month. Really annoying. Dealer had no clue what's causing this.

Usually when this has happened, my auxiliary heating (Ebersp?cher) has been on, but not in all cases. I don't see this as acceptable reason, since there was a corresponding device available from BMW also... (but in only heated the interior, not engine, that's why I chose the Eber).

If the problem comes back when weather gets colder, the final alternative is to disconnect the whole alarm system and demand the money back. Wouldn't like to do it tho.

Kari
Old 07-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Carbon Black with Black Nasca Leather Sport Auto Transmission Active Steering Comfort Access Bamboo Anthracite wood trim Power Rear Sunshades Ventilated Seats Ipod adapter Nav Sat Premium Sound

Exact same thing is happening to me. I just picked up my car this past Friday (after my car being serviced for a week and a half!) and according to my SA, they did not perform a software upgrade. She tells me I have version 16. I have also tried reprogramming on Idrive but same problem. Very annoying to pick up my car and now I have more problems!!!
Old 07-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 550i Sport

This used to happen to me in my old E46, and after noticing that there was a taxi in the road a couple of times I thought maybe the cab driver was driving into my car. Then I actually used that cab firm to pick me up from home and as he rest the thing that works out how much your journey costs my alarm went off. Something to do with the radio frequency used.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

I doubt this is the problem but it reminds me of something that used to happen to me on my E39 -- if I left my cell phone on in the car and someone called it while the interior motion sensor was active, the alarm used to go off. I don't know if it was the ringer or the vibrate that did it but I learned not to leave the phone in the car after that!

The only thing I can think of for the E60 problem is that maybe there's a problem with the motion or tilt sensors?

In case anyone missed it, there is a great document from TIS on the alarm system in the Technical Gallery:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=213
Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 AM
RAI
Members

gabman,

There is a module behind the rear bumper that controls the alarm system that's probably gone bad and needs to be replaced.

I had the same problem, and it was driving me nuts! It got worse and worse, to the point where it was going off all the time and I had to quit locking the car.

Fortunately, the dealer knew how to fix the problem. They in the a new module, and I've never had the problem since.

If need be, I can pull my Service Order and post the part number for the new module. I'm at work now, and don't have it with me.

Hope this helps.

-RAI
Old 07-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

That could be -- there is a siren with an integrated tilt sensor mounted near the rear bumper. Maybe the tilt sensor is failing?

Quick Reply: Alarm Problem