E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Alarm goes off for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by or_550i
Yes. Some websites have a mod point based system and +1 means you are up voting someone's response.

BTW, welcome to the Internet. Oh, and 5series.net
No need to be a dick about it.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2006 model w/ Nav

Originally Posted by 530inOK
This isn't much help, Will, just a rough overview of the alarm system. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some real knowledge.
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm

Antitheft Alarm System
Functional description, see BMW Technology:

TIS -> Documents> SI Technology -> 61 09 03 (031)

Notes on function
The DWA electronics are integrated on the ultrasonic signal/interior sensor control unit. They evaluate the signals relevant to the alarm
system and decide whether the alarm should be triggered. The control unit is connected to the data bus K-CAN SYSTEM, across which it receives
the signals of the door modules and CAS and body base module control units. In addition, a separate DWA data bus is connected to the control
unit, across which the signals between the DWA electronics and the control unit emergency siren/inclination sensor (SINE) are transferred.

The inclination sensor and the emergency siren are grouped as one component. They are linked to the DWA electronics across the DWA data bus.

The inclination sensor monitors the horizontal and vertical position of the vehicle and issues an alarm signal in the case of a position change.

The emergency siren emits an acoustic alarm if required. The alarm is triggered when the siren receives a corresponding command from the DWA electronics.

In addition, an alarm is triggered independently of the DWA electronics under the following conditions:

Emergency siren is disconnected from the vehicle electrical system

Disconnection of the vehicle battery

Rapid discharge of the vehicle battery

Overvoltage in the vehicle electrical system (voltage > 16 V)

So that the emergency siren can operate independently of the vehicle battery, it is given a rechargeable battery that is charged when the
engine is running.

In accordance with country-specific legislation, the emergency siren can be coded for an interval or intermittent tone.

In addition to the alarm trigger, the emergency siren can issue an acoustic acknowledgment signal on arming or disarming. This function can
be coded depending on country.
Hey thanks alot......great info and will use it to troubleshoot.

Will
Old 03-22-2010, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If you just had a lot of engine work done make sure it's not the hood closing sensor. It can easily be damaged or moved. I had this happen to me a few years ago with my first E60. It's a cheap part if it needs to be replaced. If I recall it cost me about $20 to replace it myself. After that I had no more phantom alarms.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Sport

+1 on the hood sensor. I had the same issue.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by providenceleaf
If you just had a lot of engine work done make sure it's not the hood closing sensor. It can easily be damaged or moved. I had this happen to me a few years ago with my first E60. It's a cheap part if it needs to be replaced. If I recall it cost me about $20 to replace it myself. After that I had no more phantom alarms.
+1
Yup. its your hood sensor
Old 03-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 530inOK
This isn't much help, Will, just a rough overview of the alarm system. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with some real knowledge.
http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm

Antitheft Alarm System
Functional description, see BMW Technology:

TIS -> Documents> SI Technology -> 61 09 03 (031)

Notes on function
The DWA electronics are integrated on the ultrasonic signal/interior sensor control unit. They evaluate the signals relevant to the alarm
system and decide whether the alarm should be triggered. The control unit is connected to the data bus K-CAN SYSTEM, across which it receives
the signals of the door modules and CAS and body base module control units. In addition, a separate DWA data bus is connected to the control
unit, across which the signals between the DWA electronics and the control unit emergency siren/inclination sensor (SINE) are transferred.

The inclination sensor and the emergency siren are grouped as one component. They are linked to the DWA electronics across the DWA data bus.

The inclination sensor monitors the horizontal and vertical position of the vehicle and issues an alarm signal in the case of a position change.

The emergency siren emits an acoustic alarm if required. The alarm is triggered when the siren receives a corresponding command from the DWA electronics.

In addition, an alarm is triggered independently of the DWA electronics under the following conditions:

Emergency siren is disconnected from the vehicle electrical system

Disconnection of the vehicle battery

Rapid discharge of the vehicle battery

Overvoltage in the vehicle electrical system (voltage > 16 V)

So that the emergency siren can operate independently of the vehicle battery, it is given a rechargeable battery that is charged when the
engine is running.

In accordance with country-specific legislation, the emergency siren can be coded for an interval or intermittent tone.

In addition to the alarm trigger, the emergency siren can issue an acoustic acknowledgment signal on arming or disarming. This function can
be coded depending on country.
Thanks for this info. Turns out it was the battery and had it replaced today.....expensive battery.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Ellicit
battery

You were exactly right. Battery had barely any voltage and was the original (06 model but was actually manufactured in 05). Indie explained it was a calcium battery (don't really know what that means) and that their lifespan is shorter than a normal car battery and that now that it is 2010 it was about time for a new one. I like this mechanic shop a lot... they talked me into a BMW battery. It was expensive $313......you think I got hosed? They were pretty adamant about the BMW battery and they checked for some others to work (Interstate, etc...) but there was not one comparable.

Thanks again,

Will