E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Airbag light on after accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI guys,

one of the worst day of my life was last week which i involved in an accident due to the heavy downpour. my car spinned 180 degrees before hit a van from the rear. I will post a pic soon. Really love the car and i am really grateful that im still alive. The worse part is that i'll be paying all this out of my own pocket.

at first i got a lot of error messages. the car cannot start and this was due to the battery safety cable. the indy mechanic cleared managed to clear all the error message except for the airbag light. The only problem i have now is that the airbag light is on and im getting the restraint system faulty. The airbag didnt deploy in the accident. the mechanic told me that its the airbag control module is faulty and needs to be replaced. I did some research about this and from my understanding, the airbag light will appear after an accident and no need to replace the module. It just needs to be reset.

Can somebody help me with this? Thanks a lot.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 AM
Members

here are some pics of my car.

hopefully they can fix it like the original one.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag light on after accident-28112010027.jpg   Airbag light on after accident-28112010026.jpg  
Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xifaraind23
HI guys,

one of the worst day of my life was last week which i involved in an accident due to the heavy downpour. my car spinned 180 degrees before hit a van from the rear. I will post a pic soon. Really love the car and i am really grateful that im still alive. The worse part is that i'll be paying all this out of my own pocket.

at first i got a lot of error messages. the car cannot start and this was due to the battery safety cable. the indy mechanic cleared managed to clear all the error message except for the airbag light. The only problem i have now is that the airbag light is on and im getting the restraint system faulty. The airbag didnt deploy in the accident. the mechanic told me that its the airbag control module is faulty and needs to be replaced. I did some research about this and from my understanding, the airbag light will appear after an accident and no need to replace the module. It just needs to be reset.

Can somebody help me with this? Thanks a lot.
Yikes ... sorry to hear about your accident. Guess it's lucky no one was injured (no mention of that tin your post). But - paying repair out of pocket ?? That's gonna hurt as bad as the hit. Even though your hit was high this is going to be very expensive. Anytime electronics ans related systems are involved (remember there is a lot of stuff back there) it'a BMW Dealer time. Resets can be done by well equipped indies if you have one available.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

yikes, well im glad your okay. Now, its def going to cost you, the trunk, bumper, quarter panels and tails alone are a fortune. I had similar front end damage from a crunch on a tow hitch going maybe 15 mph and the damage was over $7 grand. Isnt this covered under no-fault though?
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by melimel
yikes, well im glad your okay. Now, its def going to cost you, the trunk, bumper, quarter panels and tails alone are a fortune. I had similar front end damage from a crunch on a tow hitch going maybe 15 mph and the damage was over $7 grand. Isnt this covered under no-fault though?
AFAIK, there is no 'no fault' coverage over here. its either my fault or the other party. yeah, they really cost a fortune. learned my lesson now.

im still havent got the answer for the airbag. the mechanic quoted me $500 for a used airbag module. im just curious whether will it need to be changed or reset..
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Members

usually you have to change it or have it rebuilt which usually cost about $200
Old 12-07-2010, 09:14 PM
New Members

I just repaired an 04 530i with front end damage that I bought from a local insurance auction, the airbag light was on but no airbag deployment. I took it to an indy shop after I fixed it and the tech just reset it in 5 minutes for $80cdn, he mentioned that if the light comes on again then I might have a bad module but if it doesn't then im in the clear.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Members

thanks a lot for the info guys.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

GL man, I supposed mine has to be reset too as I get the iDrive warning but the module was replaced