E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

airbag failure- Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw e60
Default airbag failure- Need Help!!!

Hello guys.
On my e60 525d got an airbag and seat belt warning light
I tested my car with DIS and i got this error: 9AF4 SFZ: Resistance, firing circuit, belt tensioner, driver, too high.
I checked the wires, and ai cleaned the connectors but nothing happened. When i clear the error, it appear again after a few days
Anyone have any ideea about this error?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aadriann
Hello guys.
On my e60 525d got an airbag and seat belt warning light
I tested my car with DIS and i got this error: 9AF4 SFZ: Resistance, firing circuit, belt tensioner, driver, too high.
I checked the wires, and ai cleaned the connectors but nothing happened. When i clear the error, it appear again after a few days
Anyone have any ideea about this error?
hi there..try disconnecting the negative from the battery for few minutes and then connecting itand erasing the error light.I had a similar issue and I was able to clear the error so far...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:20 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Based on the error description, very likely BST (Battery Safety Terminal) needs replacement. BST is part of the positive terminal.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

seat belt buckle.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:50 AM
New Members

BST is the same like IBS?
I need to change this or my pretensioner?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:43 AM
pcy
Senior Members

IBS is different from BST.
IBS is on the negative terminal. This is typically related to starting/charging related problems.
BST is on the positive terminal. This is typically related to SRS related issues.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Members
Senior Members

IBS is not the same as BST

BST, 'battery safety terminal', is a small section of positive battery cable that contains a small explosive charge. in crash situations, the charge effective separates the positive cable and disables most of the electrical system in the car. they can fail from age.

IBS is the intelligent battery sensor. it's purpose is to monitor battery 'health' and adjust charging voltage accordingly. they can fail from age too, and it's more common to have this part fail than the BST. IBS is also 'irritable bowel syndrome', which can be unpleasant for you and those around you.

if you are constantly clearing the same SRS fault out of the system, then that's probably a good indication that you have a localized failure in that SRS component. BMW sells a whooooole bunch of driver's side seat belt buckles, because they fail from repeated use. If I had a dollar for every time we had to change out a driver's side seat belt buckle at my old shop I'd be typing this post from a lounge chair in Tahiti.

Is your car left hand drive or right hand drive?

Last edited by KyleB; 04-28-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:18 AM
pcy
Senior Members

aadriann, while I am thinking the cause of your issue is BST cable, I'd recommend you go with Kyle's suggestion above because of the experience he has had on this issue and related parts.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:47 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
IBS is not the same as BST

BST, 'battery safety terminal', is a small section of positive battery cable that contains a small explosive charge. in crash situations, the charge effective separates the positive cable and disables most of the electrical system in the car. they can fail from age.

ISB is the intelligent battery sensor. it's purpose is to monitor battery 'health' and adjust charging voltage accordingly. they can fail from age too, and it's more common to have this part fail than the BST.

if you are constantly clearing the same SRS fault out of the system, then that's probably a good indication that you have a localized failure in that SRS component. BMW sells a whooooole bunch of driver's side seat belt buckles, because they fail from repeated use. If I had a dollar for every time we had to change out a driver's side seat belt buckle at my old shop I'd be typing this post from a lounge chair in Tahiti.

Is your car left hand drive or right hand drive?
It is Left Hand Drive
How can i fix it and where is locatet seat belt buckle in this diagram?
RealOEM.com BMW E60 525d FRONT SAFETY BELT MOUNTING PARTS

Thank you Kyle

Last edited by aadriann; 04-28-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

It's number one in that diagram.

You could always bench test your BST and seat belt buckle as well, if you didn't want to just blindly replace things. How many times have you cleared the SRS system before the light came back on? Is the same fault showing up every time the light comes on? If you want to be really sure, see if you get the same fault four or five times after clearing the fault code. If you get that same code five times in a row, I'd feel pretty confident in saying your driver's side seat belt buckle needs to be replaced. you certainly wouldn't be the first BMW owner to have that problem.

Last edited by KyleB; 04-28-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Quick Reply: airbag failure- Need Help!!!