E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

ver time K&N will pay for itself being able to clean/ re-charge. Where as the Mann is a disposable Paper filter which needs thrown away and replaced every 10K miles or so depending on driving conditions etc.

Originally Posted by ponnu
K&N is roughly three times the price of Mann
K&N is $46.42 and Mann is $16.42..
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I have had my K&N for 4 years now with no issues, as long as you follow the cleaning/recharging instructions and don't over oil you should not have any CEL issues. The reason the K&N is so much more than the Mann is because the K*N is a reusable filter where as the Mann is a disposable filter. Also with the K&N you may see a slight improvement with mpg.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

K&N is roughly three times the price of Mann
K&N is $46.42 and Mann is $16.42..

More to the point: If we are driving BMW's, is $46 really that much of a concern? I'll be the first one to point out when a mod doesn't make sense for the price (see: CIC retrofit), but an air filter that will never need replacing AND gives a little better performance as well? Seems a no brainer to me.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i

Originally Posted by pjinca
More to the point: If we are driving BMW's, is $46 really that much of a concern? I'll be the first one to point out when a mod doesn't make sense for the price (see: CIC retrofit), but an air filter that will never need replacing AND gives a little better performance as well? Seems a no brainer to me.
i agree
Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
I agree pjinca. This is my first Air filter replacement (all previous changes were done by Dealer). I am going to get K&N. I just wanted to hear every opinion and to understand replace vs Cleaning / Recharging. I always thought replacing is better (thought its not true all the times) as cleaning may not be perfect.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I agree pjinca. This is my first Air filter replacement (all previous changes were done by Dealer). I am going to get K&N. I just wanted to hear every opinion and to understand replace vs Cleaning / Recharging. I always thought replacing is better (thought its not true all the times) as cleaning may not be perfect.
Oh, when done properly, cleaning the K&N is way better than replacing a paper filter. As others have said, you have to watch how much oil you put on the filter once it's clean and you have to wipe off any excess and clean the MAF sensor (total maybe a 20 min job). Other than that you are good to go. I have had reusable filters in every car I've had for the last 8-10 years, I have yet to have a problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Silver Grey on Black, 6 Spd Manual, Sport, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, Fold Down RS

I used to put K&N's into my vehicles and then realized that they don't do much and in fact may do harm. Just think about this logically:

The world's best performance car manufacturers spend millions trying to eke out every last ounce of performance. From carbon-fiber body panels, ceramic brakes to titanium lug nuts, don't you think Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini would spend an additional $50 for a part that's supposed to add performance? Now with ever-increasing mileage standards being imposed, you would think a K&N would be a good idea even if they made it for one-time use. Yet today (as far as I know) no top-notch manufacturer uses K&N.

Secondly, look online for the oil analysis results people are getting back that use K&N's. Many report high silica content (i.e. sand) in their oil. Don't ask me, just Google it yourself.

Lastly, the cost savings are minimal if non-existent. If you factor in the initial cost of the filter plus the oil to "recharge" it, maybe you'll be close to 100,000 miles when you break even? Not sure how many of us will have our cars that long and can yet find the K&N filter oil after so many years.

K&N does have great marketing yet so do those "Horsepower in a bottle" liquids. I still cringe when I hear Carroll Shelby promoting that one particular brand.

I do realize this is an endless debate and there probably is no correct answer. Just thought I'd mention my perspective and experience.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
Members

I installed a K&N after reading many forum posts that recommended them. Purchased for good price from Amazon.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

I have an extra k&n filter . Never Opened. Inbox me if interested. . Cheap.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
I have an extra k&n filter . Never Opened. Inbox me if interested. . Cheap.
PM sent..

Quick Reply: Air Filter