E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Air conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys. Great forum, loads of info and excellent crowd. Just took delivery of my 06 525i last week. So far i'm really pleased with the car except for the fact that my air conditioner keeps turning itself on everytime i start the ignition despite me turning it off before. I doubt that this is a normal occurence.

Can someone please advice? All inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

Is your system set to auto? What temp do you have dialed up?
Old 04-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jack' post='270503' date='Apr 18 2006, 10:14 AM
Hi guys. Great forum, loads of info and excellent crowd. Just took delivery of my 06 525i last week. So far i'm really pleased with the car except for the fact that my air conditioner keeps turning itself on everytime i start the ignition despite me turning it off before. I doubt that this is a normal occurence.

Can someone please advice? All inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I leave my AC on all year round, which is good practice.

Irregular use leads to a number of problems with cooling system, not least being bacteria build up and bad smells.

If you only switch it on when you need it, you are liable to find it doesn't work when you need it most.

In the winter as AC drys the air it dramatically reduces condensation. It also has minimal impact on fuel efficiency since it only cycles as much as necessary to retain the programmed temp.

That said, mine is not automatically on (unless I leave it on) - I think this may be programmable by the dealer using the key memory.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Mark Romero' post='270505' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:18 PM
Is your system set to auto? What temp do you have dialed up?
Sorry for my ignorance. How do i know if my system is set on auto? the temp is set to 22 degrees.
Cheers
Old 04-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='270510' date='Apr 18 2006, 07:30 PM
I leave my AC on all year round, which is good practice.

Irregular use leads to a number of problems with cooling system, not least being bacteria build up and bad smells.

If you only switch it on when you need it, you are liable to find it doesn't work when you need it most.

In the winter as AC drys the air it dramatically reduces condensation. It also has minimal impact on fuel efficiency since it only cycles as much as necessary to retain the programmed temp.

That said, mine is not automatically on (unless I leave it on) - I think this may be programmable by the dealer using the key memory.
I live in a country with tropical climate all year round where its hot and humid. As such the AC will be turned on all the time when i'm driving the car. I guess i'm just not comfortable with the airconditioner turning itself on whenever i start the ignition. I might be wrong but is it bad for the AC system rather than manually turning it on AFTER i start the car? Cheers.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jack' post='270514' date='Apr 18 2006, 10:38 AM
I live in a country with tropical climate all year round where its hot and humid. As such the AC will be turned on all the time when i'm driving the car. I guess i'm just not comfortable with the airconditioner turning itself on whenever i start the ignition. I might be wrong but is it bad for the AC system rather than manually turning it on AFTER i start the car? Cheers.
Lucky you

I can't see why there would be ANY difference in terms of wear and tear on your ac system if you turn it on, or if it comes on automatically.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='270526' date='Apr 18 2006, 06:02 AM
Lucky you

I can't see why there would be ANY difference in terms of wear and tear on your ac system if you turn it on, or if it comes on automatically.
Speaking of A/C.. I had to buy spray to spray down the a/c because of the smell... I still don't understand how u pay all that money for a car and we have to go through the bad egg smell... and when u bring it in to BMW all they do is say to get mold spray and spray it once in a while.... go figure
Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by John007' post='270530' date='Apr 18 2006, 12:10 PM
Speaking of A/C.. I had to buy spray to spray down the a/c because of the smell... I still don't understand how u pay all that money for a car and we have to go through the bad egg smell... and when u bring it in to BMW all they do is say to get mold spray and spray it once in a while.... go figure
If you use it all the time it shouldn't get mouldy. I think you only really get this problem if you leave it off for a couple of months over winter.

I've just booked my car in for an AC fault (hasn't worked properly since I bought it second hand) and the cheeky monkeys from BMW tried to say I should be having an optional 2 yearly service !

IMHO if any service is recommended for the AC (or anyother component) then this should be part of (and included in the cost of) the general vehicle servicing.

Since my car was given a full service just before I bought it, I suggested that I WOULD NOT be paying for the problem to be put right.