E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ah crap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

The rim repair guy mentioned that but I dont think the regular rims would fit into that space in the trunk.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:56 PM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 21 2005, 05:20 PM
I got my rim back today and for anyone interested here's a pic of the results.. it's as good as new from far away. From up close the re-painting they did looks a little more "lumpy" or "bumpy" although the clear coat they put on makes it completely smooth. Overall I'm happy but might want to opt for the cheapie repair instead in the future -- hopefully this won't happen again though!?

Attachment 7797
[snapback]131615[/snapback]
Don't sweat it, Mark. You'll be the only one to notice it. Wheel looks good.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 21 2005, 05:20 PM
I got my rim back today and for anyone interested here's a pic of the results.. it's as good as new from far away. From up close the re-painting they did looks a little more "lumpy" or "bumpy" although the clear coat they put on makes it completely smooth. Overall I'm happy but might want to opt for the cheapie repair instead in the future -- hopefully this won't happen again though!?
[snapback]131615[/snapback]
Don't sweat it, Mark. You'll be the only one to notice it. Wheel looks good. Is that a reflection behind the wheel?
Old 05-21-2005, 03:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='May 21 2005, 06:36 PM
Very cool!? ? Glad you got it fixed... Do you have a close up of the lumpy bumpy paint part? I'm curious to see...
[snapback]131621[/snapback]
It's hard to capture on camera and yeah.. its hard to notice unless you know the history but.... it is definitly more noticable in the flesh than the camera shows.

Here's the lumps I was talking about. They look like lumps but when you run your finger across it -- it's completely smooth.

Ah crap!-lumps.jpg

Here's a stock rim.. no lumps.
Ah crap!-no_lumps.jpg
Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ULtraPLanet' date='May 16 2005, 02:49 PM
That stinks - knocking on wood? ? How often do you get those valve caps stolen?
[snapback]129316[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that..oh, i also have those valve caps and never been stolen.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 21 2005, 04:03 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='May 21 2005, 06:36 PM']Very cool!? ? Glad you got it fixed... Do you have a close up of the lumpy bumpy paint part? I'm curious to see...
[snapback]131621[/snapback]
It's hard to capture on camera and yeah.. its hard to notice unless you know the history but.... it is definitly more noticable in the flesh than the camera shows.

Here's the lumps I was talking about. They look like lumps but when you run your finger across it -- it's completely smooth.

Attachment 7806

Here's a stock rim.. no lumps.
Attachment 7807
[snapback]131633[/snapback]
[/quote]

You'll probably be the only one to notice, and since (I assume) it's the passenger side, you won't see it that often!

Since the clear coat is smooth, they might have color sanded it, but not color sanded the base color coat before clear coating.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue/Auburn/Popular Wood Trim*Steptronic*NAV* Cold Weather Package*Rear Sunshades*Rear Side AirBags*Rear Heated Seats*Fold Down Rear Seats*Sport Package*Premium Sound*HUD*SAT Radio*

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 17 2005, 01:20 PM
Well Folks.. Just an update.

I took it to a rim shop and the price of $150 surfaced as previously mentioned here pllus an additional $25 for mounting and balancing plus tax. That price may or may not go up due to the runflat tires, he didn't know yet.

Now... I learned there's 2 different ways to fix such problems. The first way is in the link I posted earlier. You can use some kind of putty or patch and repaint only that area but that will probably flake off after a short time and need to be redone. It's cheaper though, possibly a DIY.

The 2nd option is this.. they re-weld the area to fix the metal that got shaved off and re-finish the entire wheel, not just that one area. It fixes that curb rash and all the other imperfections that have come in over time.

So, I left the wheel with him to fix and I'm driving around on the doughnut spare for now. He said i might have it back friday -- hopefully! Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time though) I may just try to sand it out slightly myself to make it look nicer and just leave it but this is the first time for me and I'm taking the hit as a learning experience.

Watch the curbs folks...? :'(
[snapback]129694[/snapback]
Lomag,

Can you pass along the name and number of the repair shop that fixed yur wheel? I hit a curb pulling out of a parking lot.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I had about the same damage, and it only costed me 100 euro's at a local repair shop. Wheel looked new after it