E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ah crap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

That sucks. Can that be fixed?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

Same thing happened to me last week... My daughter was late for pre-school and so I tried to squeeze through on the right of this car stopped at a light... needless to say I have scratches on both my passenger side wheels. Taught me a lesson real quick!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Well Folks.. Just an update.

I took it to a rim shop and the price of $150 surfaced as previously mentioned here pllus an additional $25 for mounting and balancing plus tax. That price may or may not go up due to the runflat tires, he didn't know yet.

Now... I learned there's 2 different ways to fix such problems. The first way is in the link I posted earlier. You can use some kind of putty or patch and repaint only that area but that will probably flake off after a short time and need to be redone. It's cheaper though, possibly a DIY.

The 2nd option is this.. they re-weld the area to fix the metal that got shaved off and re-finish the entire wheel, not just that one area. It fixes that curb rash and all the other imperfections that have come in over time.

So, I left the wheel with him to fix and I'm driving around on the doughnut spare for now. He said i might have it back friday -- hopefully! Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time though) I may just try to sand it out slightly myself to make it look nicer and just leave it but this is the first time for me and I'm taking the hit as a learning experience.

Watch the curbs folks... :'(
Old 05-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Lomag' date='May 17 2005, 10:20 AM
Well Folks.. Just an update.

I took it to a rim shop and the price of $150 surfaced as previously mentioned here pllus an additional $25 for mounting and balancing plus tax. That price may or may not go up due to the runflat tires, he didn't know yet.

Now... I learned there's 2 different ways to fix such problems. The first way is in the link I posted earlier. You can use some kind of putty or patch and repaint only that area but that will probably flake off after a short time and need to be redone. It's cheaper though, possibly a DIY.

The 2nd option is this.. they re-weld the area to fix the metal that got shaved off and re-finish the entire wheel, not just that one area. It fixes that curb rash and all the other imperfections that have come in over time.

So, I left the wheel with him to fix and I'm driving around on the doughnut spare for now. He said i might have it back friday -- hopefully! Next time (hopefully there won't be a next time though) I may just try to sand it out slightly myself to make it look nicer and just leave it but this is the first time for me and I'm taking the hit as a learning experience.

Watch the curbs folks...? :'(
[snapback]129694[/snapback]
There's a shop in the SF bay area that does some pretty amazing repairs--check this out:
http://www.wheeltechniques.com/repair/repair.html
Old 05-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Members

To throw my $.02 in. Sorry no pics but I had a huge chunk of wheel taken out by a curb. Grazed it at 70mph going around a bend early in the morning on the way to work. Thank you BMW for DSC or it would of been worse! Well needlless to say I was pissed but it was my fault so I decided to get a new wheel and use the destroyed one as an end table in the game room. Well luck had it that I had an appt for an oil change that next morning. When I got to my dealership I was greated by not only the Service Consultant but another guy I had never seen. He went straight to my wheel and was inspecting it. I went inside and asked about a wheel replacement. $500-600 or something crazy. Well this guy comes in and says he can fix the wheel for $100. At first I was hesitant but that was 2 years and 30k miles later and you can't even find where the damage was. At the time I noticed some overspray on the tire which told me that he didn't even dismount the tire. Since then I have replaced the tires and rotated countless times. I couldn't even find the spot to take an after picture.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

That really sucks mark. Since you have the Mkit, have you gotten out of your car, and scratched your side skirt yet. Just got my kit installed yesterday, and already did this. I am wondering if the paint was not yet dry. What do you think?
Old 05-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I have had a similar situation where they repaired my rim and they only repaired the rim and did not give it a complete overspray. It worked like a charm.

Later I had a set of rims that looked really bad and had them completely redone at the same shop.. The result was okay but nothing more then that. In the end (after one year) the paint started to peel off when I used a jetwash when cleaning the wheels. So for me only the partly repairs worked out okay and I will stick to that in the future..
Old 05-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I got my rim back today and for anyone interested here's a pic of the results.. it's as good as new from far away. From up close the re-painting they did looks a little more "lumpy" or "bumpy" although the clear coat they put on makes it completely smooth. Overall I'm happy but might want to opt for the cheapie repair instead in the future -- hopefully this won't happen again though!

Ah crap!-results.jpg
Old 05-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very cool! Glad you got it fixed... Do you have a close up of the lumpy bumpy paint part? I'm curious to see...
Old 05-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Members

Thumbs up

Anyone take their curb-rashed rim and use it as a full size spare to replace the bike tire BMW gives you?

I know its expensive to buy a new rim and tire when $150 repairs the rim - just curious.