E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

aftermarket Sub+Amp in trunk question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i SMG Titanium Gray Premiun Package Sports Package Navigation Bloothooth

hi guys first time posting here so go easy with the newbie

so as the time says i have a 1400 watt amp and 2 12s from my previous car.. i have noticed theres not enough bass coming from the stock stereo system even tho everything points that i should have the logic 7 i think its called??? i have the 2 subs under the front seats i have the amp stock amp in the trunk but how ever the settings in the idrive are not shown ??? all i got is treble bass fade and balance..

anyone has a clue? i just bought the car a few months ago. the previous owner had the 6 cd changer replaced with the aux input and the software of the idrive upgraded im guessing since my cd player can play mp3s... could this have anything to do with it???

anyways as i was reading a lot of members have said that is not worth installing subs in the trunk since bmw seals so good the cabin you can barely hear any bass coming from the trunk....????? how true is this? is it really that well sealed that you cany get any bass coming from the trunk??? thanks guys any info will be greatly appreciated....
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this car, but the first thing I noticed that sound sucked. I don't have Logic7 and the first thing I did the weekend I got the car was install a 12" sub in my trunk. It is true the trunk is sealed up good but I get a good amount of bass coming in. Plus I set it up so I can put down the middle armrest in the rear and have the subs point right into the car. Next step is to update my amps.

If you are a DIY persons check out...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/116...market-subamp/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/477...plug-and-play/

You can also find some pretty sweet upgrades for E60s here:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...261/0/Catalog/
Old 01-20-2012, 01:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i SMG Titanium Gray Premiun Package Sports Package Navigation Bloothooth

thanks iamnatio.. i actually read, saved and bookmarked the first 2 link you suggested i have done a couple of subs+amp setups in my previous cars with aftermarket decks However i have never used a low converter to connect amp amp to a head unit so i have just one question i wanna clarify before i go and burn something on my car ....
as the first linked described and to my understanding a lot been said about not needing a low converted if i tap to the lines going to the subs under the seats right? all i need to do is tap into the line going to one of the stock subs and make that into RCAs for the aftermakert amp right? because in the DIY it shows a "line out converter" being used? please correct me if im wrong... i just wanna double check if i should or should not use the converter and whats the best option.. thans man

Originally Posted by iamnatio
I love this car, but the first thing I noticed that sound sucked. I don't have Logic7 and the first thing I did the weekend I got the car was install a 12" sub in my trunk. It is true the trunk is sealed up good but I get a good amount of bass coming in. Plus I set it up so I can put down the middle armrest in the rear and have the subs point right into the car. Next step is to update my amps.

If you are a DIY persons check out...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/116...market-subamp/
https://5series.net/forums/topic/477...plug-and-play/

You can also find some pretty sweet upgrades for E60s here:
http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/ca...261/0/Catalog/
Old 01-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had a powered Bazooka tube installed at a shop and was very pleased with it the amount of bass that was enhanced. However, over time, the sound seemed hollow or tubular... ha! So I added a 10" box with a small alpine amp and the cnnections that the shop made was exactly like the posts here by a few users. Now the bass from the 10 is deeper and I like it a lot better. I haven't cut out the pass through where the arm rest is. This would allow more bass in for sure. But what I have is working great for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 AM
Sas
Contributors

My Ride: 520i ('04)

Originally Posted by jiovannip
hi guys first time posting here so go easy with the newbie

so as the time says i have a 1400 watt amp and 2 12s from my previous car.. i have noticed theres not enough bass coming from the stock stereo system even tho everything points that i should have the logic 7 i think its called??? i have the 2 subs under the front seats i have the amp stock amp in the trunk but how ever the settings in the idrive are not shown ??? all i got is treble bass fade and balance..

anyone has a clue? i just bought the car a few months ago. the previous owner had the 6 cd changer replaced with the aux input and the software of the idrive upgraded im guessing since my cd player can play mp3s... could this have anything to do with it???

anyways as i was reading a lot of members have said that is not worth installing subs in the trunk since bmw seals so good the cabin you can barely hear any bass coming from the trunk....????? how true is this? is it really that well sealed that you cany get any bass coming from the trunk??? thanks guys any info will be greatly appreciated....
If you can't select a full EQ in iDrive but only bass and treble , than you have the HiFi setup. The amp in the trunk powers the subs under the seats.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

yea i have the hifi setup. the amp in the left side of trunk on wheel well is for the underseat subs. youll notice that the back of the stereo on the dash is the same as many stereos on the rear side.very standard. i replaced the stock 4's in the doors/rear deck with aftermarket componenets. and powered them to a 5 channel alpine. the 5 th channel i ran to the underseat speakers which were replaced with earthquakes sws8. in the trunk i run one single 700 rms eclispe 10 powered to a alpine m6.sub is facing tailights and is against the tailights. cut out the center ski pass. if u want to actually hear and feel those bass wave cut that thing out.its obvioslu cleaner and nicer to not have to hack the car up but u wont hear the bass nearly as good as u can. i wish i had fold down seat. im running a jl clean sweep to link the oem wiring to the new wiring going to the amps. sounds pretty good. but for the headache and trial runs i woulda just left it alone and spent that money on air suspension or a nightful of hookers
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Members

yeah thats what i think i have... ok so im gonna go with a 12" and a 800watts amp since i already have them from my previous car, the bazooka sounds like a good option too.. just a lil something to complement the bass..thxs

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I had a powered Bazooka tube installed at a shop and was very pleased with it the amount of bass that was enhanced. However, over time, the sound seemed hollow or tubular... ha! So I added a 10" box with a small alpine amp and the cnnections that the shop made was exactly like the posts here by a few users. Now the bass from the 10 is deeper and I like it a lot better. I haven't cut out the pass through where the arm rest is. This would allow more bass in for sure. But what I have is working great for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Members

ooh ok sounds more clear now.. so im gonna go ahead and run the power wire from the battery and ill look around for a good ground..however the remote i was thinking of getting it from the 12v power supply since i read somewhere the remote of the stock amp takes about 30 min to turn off after the car turns off.... anyways so my last question is do i need the line out converter if im tapping the line coming out of the stock amp to the stock subs or can i just cut a RCA wire wire on one side, stripp it and use it to tap the + and - wires? thanks guys i really appreciate all the help!

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
yea i have the hifi setup. the amp in the left side of trunk on wheel well is for the underseat subs. youll notice that the back of the stereo on the dash is the same as many stereos on the rear side.very standard. i replaced the stock 4's in the doors/rear deck with aftermarket componenets. and powered them to a 5 channel alpine. the 5 th channel i ran to the underseat speakers which were replaced with earthquakes sws8. in the trunk i run one single 700 rms eclispe 10 powered to a alpine m6.sub is facing tailights and is against the tailights. cut out the center ski pass. if u want to actually hear and feel those bass wave cut that thing out.its obvioslu cleaner and nicer to not have to hack the car up but u wont hear the bass nearly as good as u can. i wish i had fold down seat. im running a jl clean sweep to link the oem wiring to the new wiring going to the amps. sounds pretty good. but for the headache and trial runs i woulda just left it alone and spent that money on air suspension or a nightful of hookers
Old 08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 2008 550i, 20% Black Tint, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, HID (6000k) Fog Lights, RPI GT Exhaust, iPod integration Module, SAT

I'm interested in the setup once it is completed. Please post pics.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by jiovannip
thanks iamnatio.. i actually read, saved and bookmarked the first 2 link you suggested i have done a couple of subs+amp setups in my previous cars with aftermarket decks However i have never used a low converter to connect amp amp to a head unit so i have just one question i wanna clarify before i go and burn something on my car ....
as the first linked described and to my understanding a lot been said about not needing a low converted if i tap to the lines going to the subs under the seats right? all i need to do is tap into the line going to one of the stock subs and make that into RCAs for the aftermakert amp right? because in the DIY it shows a "line out converter" being used? please correct me if im wrong... i just wanna double check if i should or should not use the converter and whats the best option.. thans man
You do not need a line out converter, the person who wrote that DIY did not know exactly what he/she was doing. However, it is a good step by step. All you need to do is tap the wires on the OTHER side of the factory amp (those are the line level inputs to the amp) vs. the outputs that they tapped into thus needing a line out converter.

It is quite a simple install after you figure out the colors of the wires you need to tap for the rca inputs (those should be in that other thread somewhere).