E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 3 1/2 months

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Well after 3 1/2 months of agonising waiting my car was finally delivered today and I must admit it was well worth the wait. The delivery was made even more special by BMW sending the car on its very own tilt truck, all covered up and looking like a giant present begging to be opened.

Having driven petrol cars for all of my driving life and as this is my first diesel I was a little worried about cabin noise and refinement of the diesel engine. Boy was I wrong.

I have only had the car for a few hours, but I managed to have a little drive at lunch and I was amazed at the refinement, the torque and the overall quality of the car. The manual gearbox is a joy to use and gear changes are very solid.

I will try and do a review when I have a few more hours behind the wheel and I will try and upload the pictures later.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:55 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d M-Sport (2005) Carbon Black. Was 163BHP and 340NM Torque, now 201BHP and 400NM Torque

Originally Posted by idgam' post='477890' date='Oct 4 2007, 03:41 PM
Well after 3 1/2 months of agonising waiting my car was finally delivered today and I must admit it was well worth the wait. The delivery was made even more special by BMW sending the car on its very own tilt truck, all covered up and looking like a giant present begging to be opened.

Having driven petrol cars for all of my driving life and as this is my first diesel I was a little worried about cabin noise and refinement of the diesel engine. Boy was I wrong.

I have only had the car for a few hours, but I managed to have a little drive at lunch and I was amazed at the refinement, the torque and the overall quality of the car. The manual gearbox is a joy to use and gear changes are very solid.

I will try and do a review when I have a few more hours behind the wheel and I will try and upload the pictures later.
I also bought my first BMW a few weeks ago. I had a Lexus IS200 Sport & Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130BHP before. I went for a 2005 (used) BMW 520d M-Sport, Carbon Black and I love it. Its a joy to drive. I am using the car as a taxi up in Aberdeen and its a right head turner. The main use for the car is exec hires, but also general taxi jobs.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Congratulations on the new car, idgam! Post some pics when you can.

I moved from a petrol to my current diesel earlier this year, and have been nothing less than impressed with it in all respects. BMW have, without a doubt, set the standard for luxury performance diesels.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Members

Congratulations mate!

I get mine tomrrow, can't wait, the car is sat ready in the dealers now, just not enough time today to collect it...........

I have been waiting 5 months for the new engine, so it had better be worth the wait ;-)

My M5 mirrors are also being fitted by the dealer before delivery, just to finish it off.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Congrats idgam

Enjoy!

I'm afraid my wait will start tomorrow for January 2008.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Congrats !! Pictures - we want pictures!
Old 10-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: All on order and should be here by 28th September 2007

Well my first weekend with the new car has been and gone with both good and bad points.

First the bad:

Friday someone scraped up against it in my local supermarket car park. Nice graze on the rear bumper . Of course they did not leave their details. Nice people we have here in East London.

Get the car home Friday night to be greeted by a message saying that there was an increased battery drain. Xenon lights started to act weird, computer kept resetting itself losing all stored information (radio stations, time, vehicle settings)

Saturday phone BMW who send a guy with a flatbed to tow car away to be repaired. I said that the car could still be driven and could they send a technician to look at the problem. Technician came disconnected the battery, reconnected after 5 mins and all working fine now. Only 4 hours wasted on Saturday.

The Good:

Had a nice little run to Cambridge (approx 70 miles from me). What a car. Acceleration was fantastic and smooth. Car was incredibly quiet on the motorway and we arrived feeling like a million dollars.

The journey home was equally impressive returning 45 mpg (not exactly light footed).

All this in two days. I can see that owning a E60 may have its ups and downs over the next 3 years.

Once it is clean I will post the pics - sorry!!