E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After 13,000 miles figured out directionals

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I am not to swift, but I always had a problem using the directionals on my 545i. Being that I do not feel that 3 clicks are enough in the 3 click setting, I changed the setting in I drive and either held the directional till I changed lanes, or just pushed them all the way over to keep them on steady till I finished my move, I then pushed it back to the off position as you would with most other cars.My problem was that when pushing to the off position I woukd sometimes go to far and put the directional on in the opposite direction by mistake. It would ,I am sure, give those behind me the impression I didn't know whether I was going right or left. Maybe everyone else knows or does this, but I found out today while driving that if you have put the directional in the steady left or right positiion that the best way to turn it off when you finish your lane change is to do just the opposite of what I have done all my years of driving. That is to lightly push the directional handle in the SAME direction that you just moved it to Another words, if ypu just moved into the right lane and had it on steady because it took you time to move over, you lightly push the directional to the right again and not to the off position. This way you can not possibly put it mistakenly in the opposite position, and they go completly off.
Well if your not confused after this lengthy explanation, I would appreciate knowing if any of you have been doing this all the time, and I sound like a jerk, or if this is really helpfull in the use of your directionals? I now think the directionals are great.

The other thing I always do is something that makes I-Drive a lot simpler. Someone posted on the board months ago, a short-cut that is not in the BMW manual . I think it is worth repeating for the new members. That is to slide the I-Drive controller in the position you want to go to in only one movement or motion.. For instance going from communication to navigation takes 3 movements. By sliding the controller and holding it in place for 3 or 4 seconds you move directly into navigation or entertainment or whatever. As an added plus it also has the effect of bringing you back to the SAME screen you were last in (like map facing north etc.) . If you were not aware of this, try it, makes I drive a piece of cake. Even the guys at my dealership were not aware of this and now tell their new customers about it to simplify I-Drive when selling the E60.
Hope some of you out there find some of this info helpfull.
Netjazz
Old 02-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Guest_JDP_*

Thanks a million! I am a new owner and unaware of either useful tip. For me the quick directional works fine most of the time; however, there are times when I have found myself going back and forth from the right turn signal to the left turn signal. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by netjazz' date='Feb 11 2005, 09:10 PM
Maybe I am not to swift, but I always had a problem using the directionals on my 545i. Being that I do not feel that 3 clicks are enough in the 3 click setting, I changed the setting in I drive and either held the directional till I changed lanes, or just pushed them all the way over to keep them on steady till I finished my move, I then pushed it back to the off position as you would with most other cars.My problem was that when pushing to the off position I woukd sometimes go to far and put the directional on in the opposite direction by mistake. It would ,I am sure, give those behind me the impression I didn't know whether I was going right or left. Maybe everyone else knows or does this, but I found out today while driving that if you have put the directional in the steady left or right positiion that the best way to turn it off when you finish your lane change is to? do just the opposite of what I have done? all my years of driving. That is to lightly push the directional handle in the SAME direction that you just moved it to? Another words, if ypu just moved into the right lane and had it on steady because it took you time to move over, you lightly push the directional to the right again and not to the off position. This way you can not possibly put it mistakenly in the opposite position, and they go completly off.
Well if your not confused after this lengthy explanation, I would appreciate knowing if any of you have been doing this all the time, and I sound like a jerk, or if this is really helpfull in the use of your directionals? I now think the directionals are great.

The other thing I always do is something that makes I-Drive a lot simpler. Someone posted on the board months ago, a short-cut that is not in the BMW manual . I think it is worth repeating for the new members. That is to slide the I-Drive controller? in the position you want to go to in only one movement or motion.. For instance going from communication to navigation takes 3 movements. By sliding the controller and holding it in place for 3 or 4 seconds you move directly into navigation or entertainment or whatever. As an added plus it also has the effect of bringing you back to the SAME screen you were last in (like map facing north etc.) . If you were not aware of this, try it, makes I drive a piece of cake. Even the guys at my dealership were not aware of this and now tell their new customers about it to simplify I-Drive? when selling the E60.
Hope some of you out there find some of this info helpfull.
Netjazz
[snapback]89279[/snapback]
Old 02-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Look on the bright side, you could have figured it out after 30,000 miles...

(Not to rub it in or anything but yes, I figured it out the first day on my drive home from the Performance Center and yes, it's in TFM...)
Old 02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 11 2005, 07:57 PM
Look on the bright side, you could have figured it out after 30,000 miles...

(Not to rub it in or anything but yes, I figured it out the first day on my drive home from the Performance Center and yes, it's in TFM...)
[snapback]89286[/snapback]
Actually if you just play the DVD with that Gal with the teeth explaining the car, both the directional and the I-drive short cut are explained.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Good tips, thanks for posting
Old 02-11-2005, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

netjazz:

With the directionals in the "3 click" mode, you can actually have the best of both worlds. By tapping the stalk quckly, it will give you the 3 clicks. However, even in this mode, you can simply hold the stalk down until you've made your lane change. The directionals will stay on until you release the stalk.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 12 2005, 05:00 AM

Actually if you just play the DVD with that Gal with the teeth explaining the car, both the directional and the I-drive short cut are explained.
[snapback]89289[/snapback]
[/quote]

Didn't get any DVD-manual with my car! Must be something for the American Market.

But I want one!
Old 02-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Feb 11 2005, 07:00 PM
[quote name='Rudy' date='Feb 11 2005, 07:57 PM']Look on the bright side, you could have figured it out after 30,000 miles...

[snapback]89289[/snapback]
[/quote]

HEY!!! what DVD!!!! I didnt get a DVD. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i - Titanium Grey/Grey/SMG/Nav/sports pack/premium pack/sirius prep

Thanks for the great tip. I end up pushing too hard up or down flipping my blinkers from left to right all the time appearing confused to all the drivers behind me.

No if only I can overcome that instinct to push the stalk in the opposite direction of the blinker...

BTW, I'm a US owner and I got no DVD.

Nick
Old 02-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Contributors

HEY!!! what DVD!!!! I didnt get a DVD. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
[snapback]89309[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dude, you got ripped! The video has the blonde chick who shows you how to shut the trunk by grabbing the inside of the trunk. I would never have known that there was a handle there to do this. I also got a free DVD of The Hire - 8 short films.

Quick Reply: After 13,000 miles figured out directionals