E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFS woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Default AFS woes

Hi all, happy new year.

I have a 530 E60 with AFS. It was working fine until the module got wet, the driver didn't bother replacing it just drove around with the light on for a while. The wheel was centred and it never tried to initialise. I replaced it and it initialised on the first drive and the light went out. Problem is it won't stay out.

Drivers angle and summary angle both read normally before engine start. Sometimes on starting engine it will error and summary angle will read -8192.

If it starts without error, and the wheel is roughly aligned, it will turn itself and initialise. If the wheel is way off, it will usually turn a little way then error and read -8192.

If it aligns successfully the light will go out and stay out on a straight road. When turning at an intersection it will always error, and read -8192.

-8192 remains as the summary angle until the engine is switched off then it returns to normal. I'm not sure if this angle is the summary sensor giving an extreme reading or if the AFS module just displays this anytime there's an angle error.

Steps taken in order:

1. replaced module with brand new
2. replaced SZL - I ordered this as brand new off ebay, however while it looked quite new it wasn't. I installed and got the same error, then decided to send it back as it wasn't brand new as advertised and didn't fix the problem. So original SZL remains.
3. replaced rack with brand new

Errors are 613C and 613F, plausibility angle and angle relationship.

I don't know if I should replace the SZL again as it does the same thing with two different SZL's, and it seems to be reading the angle correctly - about 405 degrees either side of 0 (when AFS locked out). The summary reads 525 degrees either side.

Any ideas welcomed and appreciated!

Cheers
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
New Members

Anyone? I'm out of options, there's only one dealer here and they don't know much about AFS.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

This is a very tedious ECU. It seems money is not an issue (replaced column, new Active ecu, new SZL) so why not take it to the dealer and have the issue resolved. If that is not an option then I would first do an alignment, then replace the SZL, make sure it is coded properly. If that doesn't fix it then your only option is the dealer. Also, try turning the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right. That will initialize the active steering you should do that after alignments, messing with the active steering ecu or SZL, try this first and see what happens.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
New Members

Actually I'm doing it myself to save money, I took it to the dealer and they quoted me US$6500 plus labour to replace all the parts. I don't think they had any idea so they just quoted to replace everything.

They said they can't align it because the error comes up before they start attempting alignment. Turning left and right doesn't work.

They didn't suggest battery, but someone else has just told me they changed their battery after having the exact same issue (-8192 / -1440 from the summary) and it fixed it. If it's that simple I'll be pretty annoyed at the dealer for not knowing that.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Gee_115
This is a very tedious ECU. It seems money is not an issue (replaced column, new Active ecu, new SZL) so why not take it to the dealer and have the issue resolved. If that is not an option then I would first do an alignment, then replace the SZL, make sure it is coded properly. If that doesn't fix it then your only option is the dealer. Also, try turning the steering wheel all the way left then all the way right. That will initialize the active steering you should do that after alignments, messing with the active steering ecu or SZL, try this first and see what happens.