E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Advice needed. Transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 10:38 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 525i e60
Default Advice needed. Transmission issue.

Hi, I could use some advice on my next steps with my 2007 525i with 170k miles. My vehicle recently went into fail safe mode with a transmission error message. The codes were 2AD0 4F8D 4E20. I took it into an independent shop and the people were very kind and they told me they would start with a solenoid valve set and tranny pan sealing sleeve to fix the issue. I would’ve been fine giving them the green light but the language they used on the estimate didn’t seem too sure that the diagnosis was gonna fix issue and even mentioned that I may need a new transmission in the end. So in attempt to not start a bottomless pit of repairs being done by art of elimination I assume, I stressed my concern on the subject and was told that they couldn’t guarantee anything and I may need to let the vehicle go if I’m concerned about investing too much in it without knowing if it’ll fix the issue. Again, they were very kind so this isn’t me complaining about them. My issue is I feel as if I should get a second opinion and was wondering where should I go from here. Should I go to another indy bmw shop or should I take it to a shop who specializes in transmission? Also, if I do end up needing a transmission, what would be the smartest financial decision on that? Used/Rebuild, etc…? I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to vehicles so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 323 Likes on 310 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

They are not steering you in the wrong direction. Them giving you that advice is the best you're going to get. Others will just say it needs to be replaced. Your codes are consistent with what they are suggesting you get done. It has worked for many that owns an E60. There is always that chance it will not work and you have to decide if it's worth the risk. I've done many of these fixes and only one did not work. It's the nature of owning a BMW. A few questions:

1. Is your transmission slipping at all?
2. What was the price quoted?
3 Are you willing to put $3k-$5k into the car or find the cheapest fix?
4. Are you mechanically inclined?
The following users liked this post:
memphis1212 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:42 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
They are not steering you in the wrong direction. Them giving you that advice is the best you're going to get. Others will just say it needs to be replaced. Your codes are consistent with what they are suggesting you get done. It has worked for many that owns an E60. There is always that chance it will not work and you have to decide if it's worth the risk. I've done many of these fixes and only one did not work. It's the nature of owning a BMW. A few questions:

1. Is your transmission slipping at all?
2. What was the price quoted?
3 Are you willing to put $3k-$5k into the car or find the cheapest fix?
4. Are you mechanically inclined?
Hi, thanks so much for your response. It's very very helpful. Much appreicated. To answer your questions, I am not mechanically inclined at all although I'm open and eager to at least try a fairly beginner friendly repair/replacment to get my feet wet at some point. I'm not sure if any of the issues I'm faced with now falls under that category, though. The transmission did seem to start slipping after I would get a transmission error on the dash. It would go away after stopping/starting the car but I did notice delayed acceleration in that state. The entire quote is $3200 with tax but that included a quote for $1200 for a coolant reservoir and hoses replacment. The transmission side of things was quoted $1700. I can't imagine going over 5k but I would probably rather spend up to 5k to get it fixed rather than buying a "new" used vehicle. I would obviously prefer a cheaper fix but I would imagine there is a threshold to where it may be smarter in the long run to spend more money. I struggle with knowing where that threshold is here as this is far from my expertise.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

+1 what @seanjordan20 said.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Ok so you're saying it's not slipping in failsafe mode. What you are feeling while in safe mode is the transmission protecting itself.

I first would say don't pay $1200 to replace a coolant reservoir and hoses. You can do that within a few hours in the garage for around $120. That would be a good starting point for you and maybe change the thermostat while you're at it.

Secondly the price is about right for the suggested transmission fix in a shop. I spent a little over $700 in parts and fluid but that included me sending my valve body out to get remanufactured. The fix is not hard to do at all. When I did mine I had no clue what I was doing and putting it on 4 jack stands. What helped me was a very detailed how to and if I didn't send my valve body out I could have gotten it done within 5 hrs. I would say definitely get what they are suggesting and also change your crank shaft sensor (only OE/OEM sensor). That is another issue you're having. Usually they go bad due to oil leaking on the harness. You can check to see if there is oil pooling around it and if so you would also need to change out your oil filter housing gasket. If you want to see what the transmission fix intels I can send you a how to to see if you and a buddy is willing to tackle it on your own to save a few $$$. Honestly it's not hard if you can turn a wrench. The hardest part is filling it back up with fluid correctly since you have to do the final fill at a certain temperature.
memphis1212 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 03:20 PM
New Members

Ok so you're saying it's not slipping in failsafe mode. What you are feeling while in safe mode is the transmission protecting itself.

I first would say don't pay $1200 to replace a coolant reservoir and hoses. You can do that within a few hours in the garage for around $120. That would be a good starting point for you and maybe change the thermostat while you're at it.

Secondly the price is about right for the suggested transmission fix in a shop. I spent a little over $700 in parts and fluid but that included me sending my valve body out to get remanufactured. The fix is not hard to do at all. When I did mine I had no clue what I was doing and putting it on 4 jack stands. What helped me was a very detailed how to and if I didn't send my valve body out I could have gotten it done within 5 hrs. I would say definitely get what they are suggesting and also change your crank shaft sensor (only OE/OEM sensor). That is another issue you're having. Usually they go bad due to oil leaking on the harness. You can check to see if there is oil pooling around it and if so you would also need to change out your oil filter housing gasket. If you want to see what the transmission fix intels I can send you a how to to see if you and a buddy is willing to tackle it on your own to save a few $$$. Honestly it's not hard if you can turn a wrench. The hardest part is filling it back up with fluid correctly since you have to do the final fill at a certain temperature.
Man you have been a godsend in helping me wrap my head around this and getting a grasp on my options going forward. I would very much appreciate a how to if you have it. Thank you again for all this info.
darnell moore (09-27-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

The document is a copy of a thread that was created by KyleB in the DIY forum.
Download and review the instructions.
memphis1212 (08-08-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 PM
New Members

Downloaded and will look over it tomorrow. Thanks so much.