E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adding NAV to an 07 550i pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
Let me know if I can be of any help. Been through this a few times now.
Awesome. Just need to figure out where to get the parts for the best deal now, and figure out the install. What all needs to come apart to do the mod?
Old 09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

PM member Patrys. He sells them and if you get it from him he can provide support as well as coding remotely.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
PM member Patrys. He sells them and if you get it from him he can provide support as well as coding remotely.
Thanks for the heads up! Sent him a message.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DangerousTacos
Awesome. Just need to figure out where to get the parts for the best deal now, and figure out the install. What all needs to come apart to do the mod?
Ebay would probably be cheapest , but buying from patrys would have the benefit of coming pre coded I believe (that's how bmwretrofit.com sold it).
You need
CCC
8.8 display
"high" idrive controller
GpS antenna with fakra connector (10 bucks)
Maps DVD
CCC dan harness, which is honestly the hardest part to source. Most people, as well as myself, make their own.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Contributors

Have your VIN handy so he can check and make sure you have all compatible parts.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:49 PM
Members

Ebay would probably be cheapest , but buying from patrys would have the benefit of coming pre coded I believe (that's how bmwretrofit.com sold it).
You need
CCC
8.8 display
"high" idrive controller
GpS antenna with fakra connector (10 bucks)
Maps DVD
CCC dan harness, which is honestly the hardest part to source. Most people, as well as myself, make their own.

Have your VIN handy so he can check and make sure you have all compatible parts.
Thanks fellas. I didn't think it would be this easy. If the parts are precoded, that means I won't have to make a trip to the dealership right, it'll just all work when it's installed? If that is the case I'll buy from him... Makes life easier!!

Btw, what is the "high" drive controller? I have a vague idea as to what the other parts are but not that one.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

The dealer most likely won't touch the car. That was the case for me and quite a few others. The "high" idrive controller is the hated one with haptic feedback (resistance when you reach the end of a menu list). Your original controller can be used if your car is correctly coded but I'm told it's a pain in the ass to do.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Contributors

I think the "high" drive is the multibutton iDrive controller no? (instead of the knob and 1 menu button).

Also, don't quote me...I think the precode is just to put your VIN into the hardware. That way when you install it, it would be easier to install and get everything talking together in preparation for the final coding.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

I can't speak for patrys, but when I was buying, bmwretrofit said they would precode the unit to my options and it would be 100% plug and play. The cost was too high though and I bought the parts and coded it myself.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Members

The dealer most likely won't touch the car. That was the case for me and quite a few others. The "high" idrive controller is the hated one with haptic feedback (resistance when you reach the end of a menu list). Your original controller can be used if your car is correctly coded but I'm told it's a pain in the ass to do.
Ah... that one. A 2006 330i that I test drove had that. Couldn't get used to it, too used to mine.

I think the "high" drive is the multibutton iDrive controller no? (instead of the knob and 1 menu button).

Also, don't quote me...I think the precode is just to put your VIN into the hardware. That way when you install it, it would be easier to install and get everything talking together in preparation for the final coding.
So after the install, stuff still has to be coded. Correct? Not trying to sound like a broken record lol, just want to understand everything before I jump the gun.

Quick Reply: Adding NAV to an 07 550i pre-LCI