E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adding NAV to an 07 550i pre-LCI

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, some of you here may know me from bimmerfest. I've been a member here for a while now but never really posted any. I'm looking to add NAV to my e60. From what I understand I have two options.

CCC - what would have come on the car. Pros would be all the features my car has will remain intact. Cons are slow speed, and it's DVD based.
CIC - what comes on the 2010 models. Pros are obvious. HDD based so it is much faster, and looks a lot better. Cons are losing some features of the car, and it's not plug-and-play.

So my questions are as follows. I know the CIC is somewhat hard to install and get working. What about the CIC? I'm also assuming the CIC is cheaper, and there may be people out there that upgraded to CIC and want to sell their CCC parts. What price range can I expect to upgrade to the CCC unit, and how tough of an install am I looking at? Also, what features will the CCC add to my car besides just NAV, if anything?

I tried using the search feature, but couldn't find much info since CCC and CIC aren't long enough to use in the search bar. Sorry if this topic/question is beating a dead horse.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: '08 535i | 6MT | BMS DCI | Cobb Stage 1

https://5series.net/forums/topic/994...tallation-log/
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

You have it backwards. CIC is the newer HDD based system.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by TakezoKensei
I've been following that thread, it only discusses the CIC retrofit. Because of the complications, I'm leaning more towards the CCC unit and would like more info on retrofitting it.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by balbs
You have it backwards. CIC is the newer HDD based system.
lol, my bad. I'll edit my original post. The designations are too similar!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

I did the CCC retrofit back in 2008. back then we didn't have access to NCSExpert and coding cables, so I had to get my dealer involved. Now with the influx of DIY cables and used CCCs hitting eBay, the costs are far less.

the hassle to retrofit either is similar, I'd go for the CIC if you can get it to work with your existing controller so you don't have to cut anything. if I was to do it again now I'd definitely go CIC. Even the relatively expensive but easy Patryk option is about a grand less than what I ended up paying for everything.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
I did the CCC retrofit back in 2008. back then we didn't have access to NCSExpert and coding cables, so I had to get my dealer involved. Now with the influx of DIY cables and used CCCs hitting eBay, the costs are far less.

the hassle to retrofit either is similar, I'd go for the CIC if you can get it to work with your existing controller so you don't have to cut anything. if I was to do it again now I'd definitely go CIC. Even the relatively expensive but easy Patryk option is about a grand less than what I ended up paying for everything.
About what do each cost now? My fear is that if I get the CIC, I'm going to want to use the new controller too... Which from what I understand is a pain to install (cutting stuff, etc). I want this to look as factory as possible, for when I sell the car years down the road, and want things to work right. Also want to do it right the first time, so I don't have to pull the car apart more than once.

By the way... LOVE your wheels. I wanted those when I first bought my car. Would still love a set if I could find them cheap enough.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

You can probably get everything for a ccc install for under 1k. It's all plug and play and with very minimal coding it will work perfect. The only thing you probably won't get to work is voice command. I did it in my 525 when I had it and it's actually a very easy retrofit.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by locomotiveBart
You can probably get everything for a ccc install for under 1k. It's all plug and play and with very minimal coding it will work perfect. The only thing you probably won't get to work is voice command. I did it in my 525 when I had it and it's actually a very easy retrofit.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DangerousTacos
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!
Let me know if I can be of any help. Been through this a few times now.

Quick Reply: Adding NAV to an 07 550i pre-LCI