E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Add SIRIUS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sapphire Black, Tiptronic, Sport, NAV, Cold Weather, Logic 7, 2004 Porsche GT3 2000 Porsche GT3 RSR 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Although we have the premium sound option on our 2005 545i there is no tab for SAT radio. We bought the car used so are not sure of the exact option list. I asume that satilite radio was not ordred on the car. Does anyone know how much trouble and the cost of adding SIRIUS would be?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If you do a search on the terms 'sirius' and 'retrofit', you'll get the following page:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=Search...sirius+retrofit

Pretty much everything you need to know is right there at your fingertips...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by sdente' post='231211' date='Jan 28 2006, 08:32 PM
Although we have the premium sound option on our 2005 545i there is no tab for SAT radio. We bought the car used so are not sure of the exact option list. I asume that satilite radio was not ordred on the car. Does anyone know how much trouble and the cost of adding SIRIUS would be?

Thanks for the help!
Don't add Sirius. It's a waste of money. Sound poorer than FM stations, and most stations are a bunch of liberals who thinks the world revolves around them. Just my opinion.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sapphire Black, Tiptronic, Sport, NAV, Cold Weather, Logic 7, 2004 Porsche GT3 2000 Porsche GT3 RSR 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Thanks for the link, you guys are the best...
Old 01-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Members

Bimmer 32, just a quick question without reading through a million posts. I know it's stupid but is Sirius available on my 04/04 build date without Nav? I made an appointment to get it installed and nothing was said now I'm worried I don't have sat prep? Also why do you say sound quality is worse than FM, is it really that bad? Also again without having to read a million posts I had 19.2 installed for aux in and BT, my tech said above this could crash the TCU and he didn't want to risk it, do I want the higher CIP and can I get MP3 playback with title listings? What CIP adds this functionality? Sorry for the dumb questions covered already just tired of searching.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='231473' date='Jan 29 2006, 01:17 PM
Bimmer 32, just a quick question without reading through a million posts. I know it's stupid but is Sirius available on my 04/04 build date without Nav? I made an appointment to get it installed and nothing was said now I'm worried I don't have sat prep? Also why do you say sound quality is worse than FM, is it really that bad? Also again without having to read a million posts I had 19.2 installed for aux in and BT, my tech said above this could crash the TCU and he didn't want to risk it, do I want the higher CIP and can I get MP3 playback with title listings? What CIP adds this functionality? Sorry for the dumb questions covered already just tired of searching.
I know what you mean by the search engine. It's not yahoo or google, but you find what you need - read and read.

1. Sat. prep is one thing. Having the actual Sirius module is another. You have to have Sat. prep to be able to install Sirius module radio (my thinking).

2. Just about every station on Sirius sounds muffled compared to the FM Stations I get in Houston, TX. For example, CD sound is 10. FM sound is 8. Sirius sound is 5-6. Sirius sounds like tape with Dolby B C(remember that?)

3. I know nothing about BT/Aux and higher than CIP 19.2. From what Znod is saying, don't upgrade because performance appears to be muffled compared to CIP 19.xx. BT works great for CIP 19.xx. Have a motorola phone and you can't go wrong with BMW BT.

4. CIP 20.x allows for mp3 playback for US cars WITH NAV. I talked to a shop foreman; he said he didn't know anything about mp3 WITHOUT NAV. Another member on this board said that mp3 playback was not as clear as CD. If that is true, I'd rather stick with CD music. Anyone want to confirm this?

Hope I could help.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='231591' date='Jan 29 2006, 02:52 PM
I know what you mean by the search engine. It's not yahoo or google, but you find what you need - read and read.

1. Sat. prep is one thing. Having the actual Sirius module is another. You have to have Sat. prep to be able to install Sirius module radio (my thinking).

2. Just about every station on Sirius sounds muffled compared to the FM Stations I get in Houston, TX. For example, CD sound is 10. FM sound is 8. Sirius sound is 5-6. Sirius sounds like tape with Dolby B C(remember that?)

3. I know nothing about BT/Aux and higher than CIP 19.2. From what Znod is saying, don't upgrade because performance appears to be muffled compared to CIP 19.xx. BT works great for CIP 19.xx. Have a motorola phone and you can't go wrong with BMW BT.

4. CIP 20.x allows for mp3 playback for US cars WITH NAV. I talked to a shop foreman; he said he didn't know anything about mp3 WITHOUT NAV. Another member on this board said that mp3 playback was not as clear as CD. If that is true, I'd rather stick with CD music. Anyone want to confirm this?

Hope I could help.
Thanks Bimmer32,
I only have the time to check these boards every so often so I'm glad to see your response. Still very confused about Sirius if it as you say worse than FM than it is not worth it. Second I would really appreciate it if anyone could respoind about the Non-Nav MP3 playback, I don't mind a slight downgrade in audio quality (as you would expect going from CD to MP3) but considering I only have a cd drive very curious if it is worth buggin my tech for the upgrade to CIP 20+, Third I wish I had gone with Motorola but I wanted to be differnet and upon initial testing my Samsung "Blade" phone worked great but now I get anoyinh "phantom calls" all day due to my alerts on the phone. Thanks for the reply and for not flaming me for not wanting to "search" all night.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Members

Edit: Upon reading a few topics down it seams that Sirius is worth it.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Have to disagree a little on the sound quality. I do agree there is definite variation ("talk" channels are not the best and are obviously more compressed, music channels by and large are pretty good, if you listen mainly to talk radio it is of course most noticable). I've had both XM and Sirius and been pretty happy with them, and I'm not one to tolerate obviously crappy sound.

And in the interests of balance, no matter how many liberal shows are out there they are cancelled out by the Fox channels
Old 03-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i ordered - built 1/05 - arrived 3/16/05 . Silver Gray - Biege Interior. Sports Package, Steptronics, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package, Rear Fold Down Seats, Sat Radio. Mods: Seatback Hangar, Trunk Net, Umbrella.
Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='251954' date='Mar 9 2006, 12:31 AM
Edit: Upon reading a few topics down it seams that Sirius is worth it.

SAT radio well worth the money and the sound continues to improve - I love it and have opted out of having Ipod in place of my Sat Radio. My opinion.

Quick Reply: Add SIRIUS?