E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive xenon

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Ki

Hi. I was wondering whether anyone encountered similar situation. I noticed when I park my 545i and turn the steering wheel, i can actually see the adaptive headlight causing the headlight move. But. I noticed the headlights move only when i turn the wheel to the right. If i try to move to the left from the nuetral position of the steering wheel to the right, the headlight wont "swivel" to the left side? This isn't normal right?
Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is right, or so it says in the manual. I think the the idea is that you dont dazzle oncoming cars while you are parking. Its covered on page 88 of the US manual. "when the vehicle is stationary, it is only active in one direction"

I have found the system to be really good, especially on small back roads, what do you think ?
Old 11-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Members

I agree. I live in Scotland - plenty of tight unlit back roads - and the adaptive headlights make a big difference to visibility. I thought the effect might be distracting, but teh movement is only noticeable whilst executing very tight turns. The rest of the time, you just find that the headlights point to the apex of the curve, exactly where you naturally look when negotiating a bend.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Members

One other question with the E60 headlamps. It appears that Xenon HID vs. Apaptive are complety independent. In other words, you can have any of the 4 combinations of yes/no to Xenon and yes/no to adaptive, right? (or with the US since Adaptive is part of the Sport package, it would be yes/no to Sport and yes/no to Xenon being independent). Am I reading the "documentation" correctly?
Old 01-02-2004, 07:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 07:52 PM
One other question with the E60 headlamps. It appears that Xenon HID vs. Apaptive are complety independent. In other words, you can have any of the 4 combinations of yes/no to Xenon and yes/no to adaptive, right? (or with the US since Adaptive is part of the Sport package, it would be yes/no to Sport and yes/no to Xenon being independent). Am I reading the "documentation" correctly?
In reading a bit more, it looks like the Sport Package (#ZSP for US) includes Xenon headlights (as well as adaptive) so you don't need to order #522 if you get #ZSP. I'm much (well, about $800) happier, if that's true.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 10:12 PM
[quote name='Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 07:52 PM'] One other question with the E60 headlamps.? It appears that Xenon HID vs. Apaptive are complety independent.? In other words, you can have any of the 4 combinations of yes/no to Xenon and yes/no to adaptive, right?? (or with the US since Adaptive is part of the Sport package, it would be yes/no to Sport and yes/no to Xenon being independent).? Am I reading the "documentation" correctly?
In reading a bit more, it looks like the Sport Package (#ZSP for US) includes Xenon headlights (as well as adaptive) so you don't need to order #522 if you get #ZSP. I'm much (well, about $800) happier, if that's true. [/quote]
Er. Now I'm not too sure again.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 10:25 PM
[quote name='Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 10:12 PM'] [quote name='Woodstock' date='Jan 2 2004, 07:52 PM'] One other question with the E60 headlamps.? It appears that Xenon HID vs. Apaptive are complety independent.? In other words, you can have any of the 4 combinations of yes/no to Xenon and yes/no to adaptive, right?? (or with the US since Adaptive is part of the Sport package, it would be yes/no to Sport and yes/no to Xenon being independent).? Am I reading the "documentation" correctly?
In reading a bit more, it looks like the Sport Package (#ZSP for US) includes Xenon headlights (as well as adaptive) so you don't need to order #522 if you get #ZSP. I'm much (well, about $800) happier, if that's true. [/quote]
Er. Now I'm not too sure again. [/quote]
Now I think that I had it right before. Xenon and Adaptive go hand-in-hand if/when you order item #522 (525i/530) or comes standard on either the 545i's. The carpoint (msn) site seems to have it confused with its description of the ZSP package. So, my belief now is that for the 525/530, you get ordinary fixed/static halogen unless you order #522 which is Xenon Adaptive headlights where you get both. Does that match what others think?
Old 01-03-2004, 07:08 AM

I think it is adapative xenon headlights or no xenon headlights at all. The 525/530 come standard with halogen headlights unless you get the adaptive xenon option for $800. The sport package has no effect in the equation.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Members

I would be careful about getting into the middle of Woodstocks arguement with himself.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jewels530i' date='Jan 3 2004, 08:59 PM
I would be careful about getting into the middle of Woodstocks arguement with himself.
Yea, I felt kinda silly at the end of all that.

Quick Reply: Adaptive xenon