E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive Headlights Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the way home tonight I spotted that my adaptive headlights were not responding around corners... I then spotted the green light on the dial flashing - I presume this means some sort of fault?

iDrive doesn't say any fault! Is there anything I can try or is it a dealer visit?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Members

Strange. Happened to my e60 last night too. Looking for the answer as well.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Hi guys,

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. Dealer replaced the adaptive headlight control module and it seems fine now. I haven't had any repeat problems for about a month now. However, dealer also informed me that there is a service bulletin from BMW Germany regarding failures of the adaptive headlight motors. Either way, it causes the adaptive healights not to function properly, so you'll need to make a trip to your dealer.

Good luck!
Old 02-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:28 PM
On the way home tonight I spotted that my adaptive headlights were not responding around corners...? I then spotted the green light on the dial flashing - I presume this means some sort of fault?

iDrive doesn't say any fault!? Is there anything I can try or is it a dealer visit??
As if by magic the problem has fixed itself this morning! Electronic gremlins I reckon!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:22 AM
[quote name='colejl' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:28 PM']On the way home tonight I spotted that my adaptive headlights were not responding around corners...? I then spotted the green light on the dial flashing - I presume this means some sort of fault?

iDrive doesn't say any fault!? Is there anything I can try or is it a dealer visit??
As if by magic the problem has fixed itself this morning! Electronic gremlins I reckon!
[snapback]90298[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hi Colejl

Glad to hear the problems sorted itself out! You must have been close to your local dealership, you know, how things fix themselves and never play up in front of the dealer.
Anyway what do you think of the adaptive h/lights? Do they work well?

Cheers

M the D
Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Colejl,

I don't want to rain on your parade, and I really do hope your problem doesn't return, but mine used to do the same thing. Sometimes it would go a few days and work perfectly before eventually coming back. Finally it got to the point where it happened all the time consistently. That's when the dealer replaced the control unit. I hope that's not the same for your car, but I just wanted to pass on the information.
Best of luck...
Old 02-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Feb 15 2005, 08:35 PM
[quote name='colejl' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:22 AM']
On the As if by magic the problem has fixed itself this morning!? Electronic gremlins I reckon!?
Glad to hear the problems sorted itself out! You must have been close to your local dealership, you know, how things fix themselves and never play up in front of the dealer.
Anyway what do you think of the adaptive h/lights? Do they work well?
[/quote]
Indeed - I thought about taking it to the local dealer and it got scared!!!

They work very well - I spotted they weren't working straight away! They are superb on dark winding roads - full Xenons going it's like driving in daytime

Originally Posted by jkava' date='Feb 15 2005, 10:52 PM
I don't want to rain on your parade, and I really do hope your problem doesn't return, but mine used to do the same thing.? Sometimes it would go a few days and work perfectly before eventually coming back.? Finally it got to the point where it happened all the time consistently.? That's when the dealer replaced the control unit.? I hope that's not the same for your car, but I just wanted to pass on the information.
Best of luck...
Of course - I'm keeping a close eye on it! The car is due in for service soon so I'll mention it to the dealer then... To be honest I'm expecting the issue to reoccur!

I've heard that this is a common problem that dealers should be aware of...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

I also had the same problem. The green light kept blinking and sometimes it seemed to correct itself and didnt blink. I took mine in to the dealer and they replaced the entire right headlight unit. Now my adaptive headlights work beautifully again.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:22 AM
As if by magic the problem has fixed itself this morning!? Electronic gremlins I reckon!?
[snapback]90298[/snapback]
Mine fixed itself the next day as well. The problem has returned though. Will have to make a trip to the dealer sometime soon, I guess.