E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 12:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good looking out buddy thanks, but how can i tell which ones are the ones not working properly, I mean How do I know if it the module or the servo that needs fixing or to be replaced?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by docsilva
good looking out buddy thanks, but how can i tell which ones are the ones not working properly, I mean How do I know if it the module or the servo that needs fixing or to be replaced?
You first need to figure out if its the AHL module. The headlights are easy to remove. The flashing green is an indication that the AHL is not working properly, the problem is figuring what part. If it is the actual mechanism, you will need a new headlight, but it could simply be the AHL module (stepper motor). Take out your head lights and swap the AHL modules that is the easiest way.

There are two screws on top of the head light that you can use to calibrate the direction, look in your user manual or just look on top for the two screws. However, I wouldn't recommend that until after you figure if its the module or hardware. If its the module after you replace it. Code your LM and the stepper motors back to default and that will fix your calibration issues.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

That sir, is the million dollar question. The servos are pretty quiet, you might hear a slight whirring on initial startup as they calibrate, but if it's bad it won't whir. It also won't whir if the AHL module isn't telling it to. Just about the only thing I can think of is maybe if you have a buddy with a pre-LCI adaptive car maybe swap AHL modules (easier than taking out the headlight and removing the servo motor) and if it works then your AHL module is bad, if it doesn't then the servo is bad, but that isn't 100% guaranteed either.

Maybe take it to the dealer and have them diagnose, but don't have them do the work.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
You first need to figure out if its the AHL module. The headlights are easy to remove. The flashing green is an indication that the AHL is not working properly, the problem is figuring what part. If it is the actual mechanism, you will need a new headlight, but it could simply be the AHL module (stepper motor). Take out your head lights and swap the AHL modules that is the easiest way.

There are two screws on top of the head light that you can use to calibrate the direction, look in your user manual or just look on top for the two screws. However, I wouldn't recommend that until after you figure if its the module or hardware. If its the module after you replace it. Code your LM and the stepper motors back to default and that will fix your calibration issues.
yea ive tried calibrating with the screws but nothing, still points up too high, but ill look into it thank you Gee
Old 01-10-2013, 03:43 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
That sir, is the million dollar question. The servos are pretty quiet, you might hear a slight whirring on initial startup as they calibrate, but if it's bad it won't whir. It also won't whir if the AHL module isn't telling it to. Just about the only thing I can think of is maybe if you have a buddy with a pre-LCI adaptive car maybe swap AHL modules (easier than taking out the headlight and removing the servo motor) and if it works then your AHL module is bad, if it doesn't then the servo is bad, but that isn't 100% guaranteed either.

Maybe take it to the dealer and have them diagnose, but don't have them do the work.
I dont have any buddys out here with a bimmer bro, and the closest freaken dealer is in san diego so lol yea im pretty much F*****, are the servo motor a bitch to take off?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Contributors

I dont have any buddys out here with a bimmer bro, and the closest freaken dealer is in san diego so lol yea im pretty much F*****, are the servo motor a bitch to take off?
No, not at all, they have 2 torx bit screws holding them into the bracket, then the arm has a plastic ball on the end that fits into a socket in the headlight. As long as you're careful not to damage the ball or the socket the removal/install is pretty easy and straight forward.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
No, not at all, they have 2 torx bit screws holding them into the bracket, then the arm has a plastic ball on the end that fits into a socket in the headlight. As long as you're careful not to damage the ball or the socket the removal/install is pretty easy and straight forward.
ok cool bro thanks, where can I buy these servos, ill go ahead and do this first and if it works then problem solved, if not well ill know it wasnt the servos so Ill go ahead and buy the AHL.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Contributors

ok cool bro thanks, where can I buy these servos, ill go ahead and do this first and if it works then problem solved, if not well ill know it wasnt the servos so Ill go ahead and buy the AHL.
getbmwparts.com should have them (part # 67168352206)
Or shoot me a PM, I have a couple of spares, sorry I don't have the AHL modules, I am using those on my new headlights.