E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Adaptive headlight malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here the steering wheel is in straight line. What i'm doing is just switching the lights between normal and AUTO mode.
I assume that the left headlight must not modify it's position (in any case not so much) when i switch between mods.
I checked another E60 LCI in same conditions and there isn't any movement of headlights when switching the mods. They move only when i turn the steering wheel.

I'm having this car from over 5 months. I studied the owner's manual even before i purchased it (to know everything), but says nothing about this.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cosmin, I have watched your video. This is not normal behavior for US adaptive headlight system. The fact that the motor stays in its position in regular mode and changes in auto is alarming. I have a few questions.

- when in regular what do the headlights do when you turn the wheel?
- when in auto mode, what do they do when you turn the wheel?

It looks to be a switch issue. I cannot tell unless I hook it up to my equipment but these are my first thoughts. After you answer the above I may be able to help you narrow it down. Do you know the previous owner? Do you notice any differences in the vehicle that differ from the owner's manual? If so the person may have done some incorrect coding to the vehicle which is causing the issue.

Sam
Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Remove your battery ground for 10 minutes after cleaning your Adaptive Headlight Controller located on the bottom on the headlight.

If it works, your in business else you need a new controller
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regular mode, headlights don't move while turning the steering wheel.
In AUTO mode, they move very fine.

Last night i checked again the movement. I thing it's normal how they do it.
When the car is moving (in straight line), there is no problem. Only when the car stands still appear that strange headlight movement.
Some other friends of mine told me that their car acts exactly the same.

The other car mentioned earlier that i checked, was an early 2007 model E60. Maybe his headlights works different.
So... i think there's no problem at all.