E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive headlight malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i Titanium Gray/Auburn interior. Sprintbooster, RPI Scoop W/BMC Filter, RPI exhaust, 20" Miro 111

Recently had a good bit of water find it's way into my headlight assembly and now I'm getting the adaptive headlight malfunction on my Idrive. I have opened the headlight cover and the inside is completly dried. How do I replace this and where exactly is it located. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Reading your post I am trying to figure out what it is exactly you want to replace? It could be the stepper motor in the adaptive headlight... it may be the entire assembly that needs replacing as it was with mine. Somehow you need to figure out which it is...

As for the idrive malfunction message... what does it say? Is the green led near the headlamp switch blinking or solid when the auto function is selected?
Old 10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Members

I'm having the same issue and have the green flashing light... what does that mean? It happened after I removed my headlights to polish them

Originally Posted by jaycal3
Reading your post I am trying to figure out what it is exactly you want to replace? It could be the stepper motor in the adaptive headlight... it may be the entire assembly that needs replacing as it was with mine. Somehow you need to figure out which it is...

As for the idrive malfunction message... what does it say? Is the green led near the headlamp switch blinking or solid when the auto function is selected?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by jselin
I'm having the same issue and have the green flashing light... what does that mean? It happened after I removed my headlights to polish them
It means there is a malfunction with your adaptive headlamps... Its also in your manual in the headlamp section. If you watch your headlamps at night one side or both will probably not move when you turn... check to make sure it is not stuck facing oncoming traffic as that could be bad.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

It happened to me too, I took the headlights out, I reseated the plugs and everything worked again.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you think, what is the problem here?
When i switch the headlights from normal mode to AUTO, the left xenon is heading to left. When i switch back, he goes in the right position again.
To mention that otherwise the adaptive lights are working fine and the green led lights continuously. This means no malfunction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2e5VXFN9I&feature=player_embedded
Old 11-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

headlight is a sealed component. if there is water it's coming through a vent tube or bulb cover. Use a vaccum to take out the moisture and inspect for possible entry points for the water to come through.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
What do you think, what is the problem here?
When i switch the headlights from normal mode to AUTO, the left xenon is heading to left. When i switch back, he goes in the right position again.
To mention that otherwise the adaptive lights are working fine and the green led lights continuously. This means no malfunction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2e5VXFN9I&feature=player_embedded
I think your car is confused. Did you do any coding lately? How's the battery? These cars start acting funny when battery is fighting to stay alive.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't any water or traces of water in the headlights. The battery it's in perfect condition. I asked some friends and theirs do the same muvement like mine. So... where the hack is the problem (if there is any)...?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
There isn't any water or traces of water in the headlights. The battery it's in perfect condition. I asked some friends and theirs do the same muvement like mine. So... where the hack is the problem (if there is any)...?
Sorry I didnt watch your video before. I do not see any problem to be honest. When you turn the steering wheel your lights will turn with it. I've disabled this feature. Is your wheel already turned when you switch to auto? So why did you think there is a problem in the first place? How long have you had this car? Have you read the owner's manual?

Quick Reply: Adaptive headlight malfunction