E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

adaptive headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

Crosspost from e63 lounge, seems to be more e60 guys on here Perhaps some of you had similar problems in your e60s...

The stupid green led indiacator keeps flashing on the knob where you turn the headlights on off from. (The one thats solid green usually) Nothing comming up in idrive...

turns out, my adaptive headlights arent working! (They do self auto adjust level, but not turning with the steering wheel!) I read somewhere, you need to have the lights set to auto for them to be in adaptive mode. Well i set it to auto, still a blinky led, and no adaptive headlights... Perhaps it will take some time? Is something else pooched?

Cheers
Old 10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

a blinking light on the led knob indicates a failure of some sort to the adaptive headlight function.
Looks like a dealer visit.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:19 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Yup as andy says it could either be a problem with the lights or a problem with the Steering Sensor that sends the signal to the lights to turn. Either way a dealer visit is needed.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Darn lol

Dealership it is...

Thanks boys!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Mystic Blue 545i BMW

Originally Posted by tbal' post='688332' date='Oct 8 2008, 01:51 PM
Darn lol

Dealership it is...

Thanks boys!

Did your dealer find anything? I had this same problem last year and my dealer said they could not reproduce the problem because it does not flash all the time. As you can imagine, it started happening again mainly in the evenings. I am going to have them look at it again when I take it in for its yearly checkup (this is my last one under warranty) so I want to get it fixed before I have to start paying.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

My adaptive headlight function isn't working either. However, they do still auto level. I'm thinking that either one or both motors are bad, or a software update is needed. I doubt there is one steering angle sensor for all the functions which require it seeing as how dsc, turn signals, and active steering still work while the adaptive headlight function does not. It may just be as simple as corroded connections on the electrical connectors as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:47 AM
R10
Members

Originally Posted by pentiumpush' post='733800' date='Nov 28 2008, 07:43 PM
My adaptive headlight function isn't working either. However, they do still auto level. I'm thinking that either one or both motors are bad, or a software update is needed. I doubt there is one steering angle sensor for all the functions which require it seeing as how dsc, turn signals, and active steering still work while the adaptive headlight function does not. It may just be as simple as corroded connections on the electrical connectors as well.

Same thing on my 530. went in for test and was told.

Check car for fault on headlight switch - green LED flashing constantly - connect to diagnostic - found ALC system defect fault stored - fault would not clear - carry out CIP record to lamp module & adaaptive headlight control unit - still led flashing - found N/S headlight faulty due to faulty wiring or in headlight - motor. requires new headlight.

New Headlight ?795.41 plus VAT ?139.20 Total ?934.61.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Hey guys, they couldnt figure the problem out for 3 days! They replaced headlights, didnt solve the problem, so they put my old ones back in, than they checked some motors or w.e. everything was okay... finally, the ALC unit was faulty, they replaced that and the problem was fixed.

My auto level was working as well, just the adapative function stopped working. Sometimes all it needs is a software reset, according to the SA.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545/SMG Sport Package HUD Logic 7 Bluetooth NAV Cold Weather Package

I've noticed the same thing with mine. When the know is turned all the way to the felt the green LEd blinks. I thought this was normal. How do it test the turning function of my headlights?

Originally Posted by tbal' post='734289' date='Nov 29 2008, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, they couldnt figure the problem out for 3 days! They replaced headlights, didnt solve the problem, so they put my old ones back in, than they checked some motors or w.e. everything was okay... finally, the ALC unit was faulty, they replaced that and the problem was fixed.

My auto level was working as well, just the adapative function stopped working. Sometimes all it needs is a software reset, according to the SA.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 AM
Contributors

You should see them moving against your garage wall/door, or on the street, its super obvious...

Quick Reply: adaptive headlight issue