E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Headlight "Failure" upon picking up car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '07 530xi had some minor body damage from the wind storms that passed thru in July. All of the 'damage' was superficial .. small dings on hood, trunk, roof. Headlight scratched by branch. Because the hood was scraped by a branch they repaired and repainted the hood; the other dings were easily handled by PDR at the BMW Certified Collision Center / dealer who has serviced the car since new. The body work was done beautifully and they detailed the entire car in the process.

That's the good news.

When I arrived and did a walk-around and started the car to be greeted by two items:
  1. Clock, date, and other data fields [mpg, etc] were zeroed out - iDrive reports "Set clock and date" - battery was disconnected.
  2. Adaptive Headlight Failure - go to your BMW dealer!
So I go over to the Center rep and ask if they disconnected the battery during repair. He says "I don't know but can ask." To which I show him the picture just taken with my smart phone. He says - I guess you know a lot about these cars! Then I show him the Adaptive Headlight Error ... and asked, "Did they remove the headlight to clean it up? He says, "YES".

He's polite and I tell him that the headlights have ALWAYS functioned normally and have never been out of the car - except during the week they had and worked on my car. He called the Service Center and tells me they have to "re-program" the car.

I'm not sure if this issue can actually be caused by disconnecting the battery for several days and/or removing and reinstalling the headlight. Guess I'll find out in a few days when I can get the car back in for evaluation. I have restarted the car several times since picking it up - headlight switch blinks away and the headlights don't move ... but since the car was in for service just a few weeks ago the dealer knows everything was functioning properly before whatever work was done at their shop during the past few days.
Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Headlight "Failure" upon picking up car-2012-08-16_17-03-39_398.jpg   Adaptive Headlight "Failure" upon picking up car-2012-08-16_17-14-23_784.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yeah, I am getting pretty curious about this adaptive headlight error.

There's two non-local headlights I have done, and the owner later mention to me that they are adaptive headlight error. Thing is, in my modification, there isn't anything that I could've done to damage it. With that said, I don't seem to have problem with any cars locally, even if the headlights are off the car for multiple days (and the car actually gets driven too sans headlights, lol). So I am pretty inclined to believe that it's probably the smaller plug isn't seated all the way in.

That or the adaptive motor has given out, but your car isn't that old yet...
Old 08-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributors

I'm thinking that the shop worker may have been careless and didn't securely plug things together. That said, and if that's the case the general manager will have to "make it right" ... I've been a loyal customer for almost 25 years.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Contributors

If it indeed is just the plug, it should just take 10 minutes to do
Old 08-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Disposition: Failed stepper motor - replaced at no cost to me.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:58 AM
Contributors

DId they replace the headlight(s)?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
DId they replace the headlight(s)?
No ... replaced one stepper motor.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Contributors

Humm, I am confused. The actual motor is inside the headlights. Did you mean the SMC (stepper motor controller)?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Humm, I am confused. The actual motor is inside the headlights. Did you mean the SMC (stepper motor controller)?
I confused you ... it was 63127189312 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&fg=05&hl=14
Stepper Motor Controller ... Guess all I heard when the SA told me what they did was "Stepper Motor"
Old 08-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I confused you ... it was 63127189312 http://www.realoem.c...=63&fg=05&hl=14
Stepper Motor Controller ... Guess all I heard when the SA told me what they did was "Stepper Motor"
Yah, I thought you mean tthat, lol.

For whatever reason, that module is referred to with multiple names, SMC, AHL controller, etc.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Headlight "Failure" upon picking up car