E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

adaptive headlight failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My left lowbeam headlight is illuminating the trees to the left of my 545. It seems to be stuck facing to the left . My repair guys tells me he recollects someone who sells the parts to fix this - some sort of bracket arms. the other option is to replace the headlight - $$$ ouch. anyone know about this??
Old 09-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by crosenthal' post='332384' date='Sep 8 2006, 12:55 PM
My left lowbeam headlight is illuminating the trees to the left of my 545. It seems to be stuck facing to the left . My repair guys tells me he recollects someone who sells the parts to fix this - some sort of bracket arms. the other option is to replace the headlight - $$$ ouch. anyone know about this??
You don't indicate where you are or how old your car is but I'll assume from your statement that the issue will not be covered under warranty. If it is a bracket, yes the dealer has them and they should be inexpensive to replace. Earlier cars (including mine) had a problem with cracked headlight brackets that were quickly replaced and have given me no more problems. If you look under the hood (or bonnet, depending where you are!) you'll see where the brackets connect the headlight assembly to the frame. Look to see if it is cracked, allowing the enitre assembly to move. I suppose there are other brackets as well, but this one is right on top and will be readily visible.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crosenthal' post='332384' date='Sep 8 2006, 08:55 PM
It happens on mine last winter and I suppose the reason was humidity. The first generation headlights has got less airducts for drying than the newer ones (around end 2004) and the left/right motion was not smooth until it completely stucked.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='332388' date='Sep 8 2006, 01:23 PM
You don't indicate where you are or how old your car is but I'll assume from your statement that the issue will not be covered under warranty. If it is a bracket, yes the dealer has them and they should be inexpensive to replace. Earlier cars (including mine) had a problem with cracked headlight brackets that were quickly replaced and have given me no more problems. If you look under the hood (or bonnet, depending where you are!) you'll see where the brackets connect the headlight assembly to the frame. Look to see if it is cracked, allowing the enitre assembly to move. I suppose there are other brackets as well, but this one is right on top and will be readily visible.
I am in the US - Maryland and you are correct, its out of warranty - 2004 545 (delivered 12/03) with 60,000 miles. Problem seems to be in the mechanism that moves the adaptive headlight left and right. I can actually see where the lense itself is turned facing away from the auto. The right headlight lense faces straight ahead. The green light at the switch inside the car is blinking - which i have learned means that the adaptive system has a fault. Neither light seems to move when turning at speed.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crosenthal' post='332444' date='Sep 8 2006, 11:25 PM
I am in the US - Maryland and you are correct, its out of warranty - 2004 545 (delivered 12/03) with 60,000 miles. Problem seems to be in the mechanism that moves the adaptive headlight left and right. I can actually see where the lense itself is turned facing away from the auto. The right headlight lense faces straight ahead. The green light at the switch inside the car is blinking - which i have learned means that the adaptive system has a fault. Neither light seems to move when turning at speed.
That's exactly were the symtoms on mine
Auto leveling and then green led blinking.
It's the left/right drive motor on your left headlight blocked.