E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Actual HP at the wheels not crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Has anyone dyno'ed a 545i or 535d to see how much she's really putting out at the wheels?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

All major manufacturers utilize net or rear wheel horse power today. It will vary form car to car, dyno to dyno, altitude and weather though.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:39 PM

Angry

A 545i puts out 325 HP at the rear wheels, I don't think so.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Apr 4 2005, 06:10 PM
All major manufacturers utilize net or rear wheel horse power today. It will vary form car to car, dyno to dyno, altitude and weather though.
[snapback]111124[/snapback]
Huh? I agree with everything but the first sentence.

All major manufacturers use crank horsepower, NOT rear wheel horsepower. Crankshaft HP is the horsepower measured at the crankshaft with the engine alone sitting on a stand on the dyno. Rear wheel HP is measured by putting the rear wheels of the car on rollers, and measuring the torque at a given rpm.

Rear wheel HP will be 15% or so lower with a manual transmission or SMG, around 20% lower with a steptronic. The difference between crankshaft HP and rear wheel HP is due to losses in the drivetrain. These numbers are well documented, with BMW being much better than most at converting crankshaft HP to rear wheel HP.

Rear wheel hp of a 545 should be around 275 HP or so, and yes, it will vary significantly with conditions.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by pennetta' date='Apr 5 2005, 12:10 AM
Sorry, April Fool's day has long gone ;-)

What manufacturers don't have to do is guestimate engine power and torque using transmission losses combined with dyno figures, as you have to if you want to get a vague idea of your engine power from a rolling road. They of course have the luxury of engine test beds to get the figures...
Old 04-05-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:04 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Apr 4 2005, 06:10 PM']All major manufacturers utilize net or rear wheel horse power today. It will vary form car to car, dyno to dyno, altitude and weather though.

All major manufacturers use crank horsepower, NOT rear wheel horsepower. Crankshaft HP is the horsepower measured at the crankshaft with the engine alone sitting on a stand on the dyno. Rear wheel HP is measured by putting the rear wheels of the car on rollers, and measuring the torque at a given rpm.

Rear wheel HP will be 15% or so lower with a manual transmission or SMG, around 20% lower with a steptronic. The difference between crankshaft HP and rear wheel HP is due to losses in the drivetrain. These numbers are well documented, with BMW being much better than most at converting crankshaft HP to rear wheel HP.

Rear wheel hp of a 545 should be around 275 HP or so, and yes, it will vary significantly with conditions.
[snapback]111550[/snapback]
[/quote]

Does the weight of the wheel and tires effect HP. If so, would run flats add weight and reduce horse power at the wheels?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 5 2005, 08:19 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:04 PM'][quote name='pennetta' date='Apr 4 2005, 06:10 PM']All major manufacturers utilize net or rear wheel horse power today. It will vary form car to car, dyno to dyno, altitude and weather though.

[/quote]

Does the weight of the wheel and tires effect HP. If so, would run flats add weight and reduce horse power at the wheels?

Thanks.
[snapback]111690[/snapback]
[/quote]

Forgot to log in. That was me above.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 5 2005, 08:19 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Apr 5 2005, 04:04 PM'][quote name='pennetta' date='Apr 4 2005, 06:10 PM']All major manufacturers utilize net or rear wheel horse power today. It will vary form car to car, dyno to dyno, altitude and weather though.

[/quote]

Thanks.
[snapback]111690[/snapback]
[/quote]

Absolutely - minimizing the rotational inertia of the wheels and tires is one of the most important things in 'tuning' a car for maximum performance. If you have heavy wheels and tires, you will show lower outputs on a rwhp dyno test, and on top of that you have a heavier car! Going to lightweight wheels and tires is probably the best single thing you can do to improve acelleration and overall performance.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Apr 5 2005, 01:04 PM
Huh?? I agree with everything but the first sentence.?

All major manufacturers use crank horsepower, NOT rear wheel horsepower.? Crankshaft HP is the horsepower measured at the crankshaft with the engine alone sitting on a stand on the dyno.? Rear wheel HP is measured by putting the rear wheels of the car on rollers, and measuring the torque at a given rpm.?

Rear wheel HP will be 15% or so lower with a manual transmission or SMG, around 20% lower with a steptronic.? The difference between crankshaft HP and rear wheel HP is due to losses in the drivetrain.? These numbers are well documented, with BMW being much better than most at converting crankshaft HP to rear wheel HP.?

Agree with the 15% loss through the drive train and rear axle. However I was led to believe that BMW has always published their rear wheel numbers and not flywheel numbers like other manufacturers, thus explaining why your 545i hauls a$$. Am I wrong?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 6 2005, 05:28 AM
However I was led to believe that BMW has always published their rear wheel numbers and not flywheel numbers like other manufacturers, thus explaining why your 545i hauls a$$.? Am I wrong?
[snapback]111733[/snapback]
Yes. :-)

Quick Reply: Actual HP at the wheels not crankshaft