E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active steering or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Thinking of ordering the new E92.

Some say the AS is crap, some love it!

I do not have it and I don't miss it - but should I order it?

Pros and cons, please
Old 07-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 750Li;CLK63 Black Series (Retired);

I had the same dilema.
I have AS on my current 06 550i. I have no complaints and the steering is very easy. Since AS has been a bit of a hot topic to discuss, I took the time and read through most. Bottom line GET IT!. I was a bit reluctant about the artificial feel to the over assissted steering feel, but realized that every time an update came out the steering feel adjusted to the newer programming and gave a better feel. I think AS takes a very important role in terms of BMW's innovative driving mechanisms. It is a technology that all cars will have in the near future.

I also test drove a sportpkgd 550 without AS and there was no difference in the actual steering feel, but the the variable steering ratios at different speeds were definitely noticed and was something I could not neglect. Since, you're in the market for a 3, choosing the AS option can be quite of an expensive add on. For an E60 AS is a must, but for a E92...I think it is pushing it a bit. The 3 series is already very agile with its weight class and size.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:55 AM
JDN
Contributors

I have active steering and really like it for slow speeds. I find no handicap at higher speeds either. There is all the road feel needed at road speeds for precision steering.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

pros:
1. less effort to park
2. auto countersteer is safe if you unintentionally oversteer

cons:
1. less steering feel/feedback
2. auto countersteer is dangerous if you intentionally oversteer
3. change in steering ratio under acceleration as you unwind steering after apex on the a track is dangerous
Old 07-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='307586' date='Jul 6 2006, 09:54 PM
cons:
2. auto countersteer is dangerous if you intentionally oversteer
3. change in steering ratio under acceleration as you unwind steering after apex on the a track is dangerous

I kind of have the same thoughts (with only one days testdriving).

Thanks largeface, for your expert and proper feedback!

I do drive a lot in the city. The AS gives a free hand but...

Anyone else?

I'm sure one can adapt to the artificial feel but jet190rs' has a point.
And I still do have some arms left
Old 07-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Monaco Blue/Auburn/Poplar/6MT/Prem Pkg/Sport Pkg/Prem Sound/Act Steering/Nav/Comf Seats/ Folding Rear Seat/HUD

I love it most when I drive twisty roads aggressively. I would get it again.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Had it on my first E60 and found it good at low speed but vague at speed. Much prefer the standard steering with servotronic. At low speed it has a very quick rack with loads of feel at speed. The M5 doesn't have it
Old 07-06-2006, 03:33 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who do track and twisty mountain often, their inputs will be a better valid point in terms of driving spiritually.
For those who never driving track or twisty mountain road, AS should be a big plus.
I want to see their inputs to see why M5 does not have it.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:46 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

I do not track my car and the AS does work very well and I do not feel the difference, it is a great technology. I have taken the car at high speeds on windy roads and do not see any drawback.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i '01 IS300

Apology for my ignorance but doesn't AS get disabled when you disable DTC? If I was tracking, I would disable all aids to get a true feel of the car.

Quick Reply: Active steering or not?