E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering malfunction AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by DavidF
First things first...read the fault code. For instance tha fault code may tell you that the locking solenoid has malfunctioned. In my case it turned out t be a broken wire near the locking solenoid. The locking solenoid is located near the steering gear box and its purpose is to lock out the active steering planetary gearset if there is a malfunction in the system. The solenoid failsafe condition is to lock out the planetary gearset which causes the steering wheel to remain off center.

Remember not all cars have an Active Steering module so you can't just read a code for it. It's a proprietary code. Unless you meant something else.
- All the symptoms can come from a bad/low battery - usually you will have other errors to but not necessary.
- Information and Error Memory not cleared before doing a reset on the system - need BMW tools to do this.
- Bad AS module
- Bad AS rack
- Low Fluid

1,2,3 are all able to be determined with BMW tools. 4 as well after you've troubleshot 3 and was ok. 5 is the first thing to do as it's the cheapest.
physically inspect! If you're low on fluid it could be a small leak which I wouldn't worry about.
Get some degreaser and spray the underside down and then hose it off. INspect the wires as well.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:01 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Remember not all cars have an Active Steering module so you can't just read a code for it. It's a proprietary code. Unless you meant something else.
- All the symptoms can come from a bad/low battery - usually you will have other errors to but not necessary.
- Information and Error Memory not cleared before doing a reset on the system - need BMW tools to do this.
- Bad AS module
- Bad AS rack
- Low Fluid

1,2,3 are all able to be determined with BMW tools. 4 as well after you've troubleshot 3 and was ok. 5 is the first thing to do as it's the cheapest.
physically inspect! If you're low on fluid it could be a small leak which I wouldn't worry about.
Get some degreaser and spray the underside down and then hose it off. INspect the wires as well.
I'm confused. This post IS about an active steering fault so the car in question must have it. And, if the car has active steering then it has the proper module to control it. Of course I meant read the fault code using proper BMW tools (or clone of same, not a silly OBD fault code reader). Sure, check the fluid first, then stop wasting time and let the car tell you what is wrong and go from there.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

I'm confused. This post IS about an active steering fault so the car in question must have it. And, if the car has active steering then it has the proper module to control it. Of course I meant read the fault code using proper BMW tools (or clone of same, not a silly OBD fault code reader). Sure, check the fluid first, then stop wasting time and let the car tell you what is wrong and go from there.
Well don't be confused. What I meant was that ANY scan tool will not read an AS module because not all cars have them. A generic scan tool uses generic codes this is what I meant. Perhaps you meant that but remember not everyone knows these things and you have to explain what you mean. You're assuming he has access to such tools. I think you're over thinking this one.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport

I did NOT assume he had access to the fault code reading tools, but any (BMW) Indy or BMW dealer does. Get the fault code and go from there. So, how am I overthinking this one?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

I did NOT assume he had access to the fault code reading tools, but any (BMW) Indy or BMW dealer does. Get the fault code and go from there. So, how am I overthinking this one?
ok. If you said, "have the fault code read" or "go have the fault code read by someone with BMW tools" I would have known. nevermind. You are right. i am wrong. you win. happy?

Yes OP, go spend $120 - $180 to get some codes read then report back.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
ok. If you said, "have the fault code read" or "go have the fault code read by someone with BMW tools" I would have known. nevermind. You are right. i am wrong. you win. happy?

Yes OP, go spend $120 - $180 to get some codes read then report back.

Will do! Thanks for everyones contributions to the post! I will get this resolved! B
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008MY 530d Sport, 19" wheels, comfort access, professional navigation, HUD, sunroof, iPod connectivity.

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
Will do! Thanks for everyones contributions to the post! I will get this resolved! B
I've had this problem quite a few times too. Each time the problem boiled down to the battery's state of charge. If the battery was "slightly" under-charged (I can't quantify "slightly") the active steering failure warning was displayed. A lot of short trips was one cause. Another was leaving the doors of the car open whilst cleaning the inside. Just yesterday, I was washing the car - comfort entry key in my pocket - and the doors kept locking and unlocking as I washed the area around the door handles, probably 5 or 6 actuations. Went to drive the car after the wash, and again the active steering failure warning appeared. In all cases, the fault was real, and the steering became slightly heavier. However the fault disappeared after a few minutes driving - presumably as the battery voltage recovered.

During the first 4 or 5 minutes after start-up, the car's electrics draw about 45 amps as the various computers and modules are initialised. I've measured the current with a tong ammeter, and was quite surprised. My dealer confirmed this was normal. So if you do a few short trips, the alternator doesn't have time to replace the energy lost by the starter motor and the module electrics, and gradually the battery voltage drops to the point where the active steering module won't initialise and the warning is displayed. Since I do many short trips, I now overnight trickle charge the battery about once a month, but really you don't expect this on a high-end vehicle.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by brob
I've had this problem quite a few times too. Each time the problem boiled down to the battery's state of charge. If the battery was "slightly" under-charged (I can't quantify "slightly") the active steering failure warning was displayed.
I had this same issue. The battery was never replaced after 7 years and after replacing it, it fixed the active-steering i-drive error.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Members

You can only lead the horse to the water.....
Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by brob
I've had this problem quite a few times too. Each time the problem boiled down to the battery's state of charge...
Originally Posted by jim7498
I had this same issue. The battery was never replaced after 7 years and after replacing it, it fixed the active-steering i-drive error.
Same here. I had repeated AS errors until I replaced my battery.

Quick Reply: Active steering malfunction AGAIN!