E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering malfunction AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Yes, I know there have been thousands of posts about the dreaded "Active steering malfunction!" But I would like to know what you have done to remedy the problem when the "Steering wheel trick" doesnt reset it. (I have done it before sucessfully, the powersteering fluid is fresh and full) I have tried it 30 different times to no avail. I do not want to go to the stealership. Does anyone in the So Cal O.C. area have any ideas or local repair shops that can resolve this? I am SICK of it! I know we have seen many posts on this topic, but I would like to hear from others who have resolved it when the steering wheel trick doesnt work! Thanks for any thoughts, Brad
Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
Yes, I know there have been thousands of posts about the dreaded "Active steering malfunction!" But I would like to know what you have done to remedy the problem when the "Steering wheel trick" doesnt reset it. (I have done it before sucessfully, the powersteering fluid is fresh and full) I have tried it 30 different times to no avail. I do not want to go to the stealership. Does anyone in the So Cal O.C. area have any ideas or local repair shops that can resolve this? I am SICK of it! I know we have seen many posts on this topic, but I would like to hear from others who have resolved it when the steering wheel trick doesnt work! Thanks for any thoughts, Brad
Had it for a long time myself. Ultimately replaced the active steering module. $1000 repair. :thumbsdown:
Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

A while back I fixed mine with a fluid top off and an alignment then did a reset. Hasn't come back since. Alignment was free because I have a lifetime alignment and a liter of Pentosin CHF-11S is like $20
Old 06-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
A while back I fixed mine with a fluid top off and an alignment then did a reset. Hasn't come back since. Alignment was free because I have a lifetime alignment and a liter of Pentosin CHF-11S is like $20
Mine worked that way at first as well. Lasted almost a year. When I added Dinan upgrades we had to disconnect the battery. Found out that the modules will often keep working with a fault until they lose power (ie: battery disconnect) then they will refuse to marry with other modules and you will get a steering fault. The fix on mine was fluid top off the first time. Then we did an ecu update. Then we did the Dinan and that was it. Had to replace.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ColdList
Mine worked that way at first as well. Lasted almost a year. When I added Dinan upgrades we had to disconnect the battery. Found out that the modules will often keep working with a fault until they lose power (ie: battery disconnect) then they will refuse to marry with other modules and you will get a steering fault. The fix on mine was fluid top off the first time. Then we did an ecu update. Then we did the Dinan and that was it. Had to replace.
^^^^ Had to replace what? The Active steering module? The Steering angle sensor? The IBS sensor? ^^^^
Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

^^^^ Had to replace what? The Active steering module? The Steering angle sensor? The IBS sensor? ^^^^
Module. Sorry, thought I put that in my first post.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ColdList
Module. Sorry, thought I put that in my first post.

No Problem! Thank YOU! Is there a way to test the module? How much did the module run you? Does anyone have any connections on a module? All ideas and thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks for help guys! Please feel free to post any additional suggestions, Brad
Old 06-11-2012, 04:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

First things first...read the fault code. For instance tha fault code may tell you that the locking solenoid has malfunctioned. In my case it turned out t be a broken wire near the locking solenoid. The locking solenoid is located near the steering gear box and its purpose is to lock out the active steering planetary gearset if there is a malfunction in the system. The solenoid failsafe condition is to lock out the planetary gearset which causes the steering wheel to remain off center.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Just to verify, when the "fluid is topped off" do you mean at the Max mark? If at the Max mark, try topping off past the Max mark. I'm usually at 5 to 8 mm past the Max mark. I have to top off each winter. Not sure if is related to fluid contraction at low temperatures and evaporation or microscopic leak somewhere.

2005 530i
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

No Problem! Thank YOU! Is there a way to test the module? How much did the module run you? Does anyone have any connections on a module? All ideas and thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks for help guys! Please feel free to post any additional suggestions, Brad
Unfortunately that is beyond my expertise. Had my perf. shop do it. Ran me about $1K or so for the replacement with labor.

Quick Reply: Active steering malfunction AGAIN!