E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

active steering malfunction!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 05' 545i sport, recently started getting active steering malfunction on my car and it does not go away what can this be??
many have told me my power steering fluid is low, but i am not sure which pump resovir it is when i look under the hood?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by marlonac
i have an 05' 545i sport, recently started getting active steering malfunction on my car and it does not go away what can this be??
many have told me my power steering fluid is low, but i am not sure which pump resovir it is when i look under the hood?

I would try checking for fluid 1st. If you look under the hood it will be the resevoir located towards the left (passenger) side of the engine bay, right behind the coolant resevoir. Make sure you use the proper fluid as well, if your low.

GL
Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

so it is the resevoir with the dipstick? if it is than the fluid in their does not touch the dipstick at all unless you push it down! does this mean it is low on power steering fluid?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: Current rides: 2011 Z4 35i MSport DCT (pictures coming) 2010 535i MSport 2008K1200GT (Sold) 2001 541i MSport (Sold) 2007 Z4 Coupe

so it is the resevoir with the dipstick? if it is than the fluid in their does not touch the dipstick at all unless you push it down! does this mean it is low on power steering fluid?
Yep. It's low. Should be a fill mark half way up the sitck.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM
Members

Ok sounds Good. Thanks! Guys
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Caution!

On the power steering reservior, there is a dip stick connected to the cap so it's imposible to "push it down."

However there is a measuring float in the coolant reservior that you can push down.

Do not get these mixed up as they are two different fluids, obviously.

To make it easy for you, the coolant reservior is rectangle in size (front) and the power steering reservior is circular (just behind coolant resv). Good Luck
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Members

e6t, that dip stick thats connected to the power steering reservior is disconnect from the cap does this mean its broken and is it a big deal? is that the same stick richr8 was telling me about with the fill mark half way up?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

e6t, that dip stick thats connected to the power steering reservior is disconnect from the cap does this mean its broken and is it a big deal? is that the same stick richr8 was telling me about with the fill mark half way up?
Just had a look at my cap dipstick and it appears that yours may be broken. Did you try inserting it back on to the cap?

Dipstick tell you not only if the fluid level is up to specs but also the condition of the oil, so they are very important.

The level indicator on this dipstick only says "max" so as long as fluid is contacting the stick you should be fine, but considering yours isn't connected to the cap, I'd suggest you go buy a new one and check your fluid level. Good luck
Old 04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Members

what color is ur dipstick is it orange or black?
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

mine is black with one max line, the number 20.0 just below the line and other numbers running vertical. hope this helps

Quick Reply: active steering malfunction!!