E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Steering Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Platinum Silver Metallic Gray Dakota Leather, Premium Pack, Premium Sound, Logic 7, Sport Pack, Navi, PDC, Sunshades, Cold Weather and HUD. 56k miles Feb. 2011

Active Steering Malfunction warning message came up when I was making a right turn yesterday.
Brought a bottle of CHF-11S steering fluid from the local BMW dealer and that fixed the problem ( so far ).
Attached Thumbnails Active Steering Malfunction-active_steering_malfunction.jpg  
Old 04-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Members

Thre was a recall on one of the Active Steering sensors a couple of years ago (I know, because my Active Steering was dead on delivery and had to be fixed. Probably worth calling your dealer and seeing if it applies to you.

Originally Posted by IceBimmer' post='846153' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:27 PM
Active Steering Malfunction warning message came up when I was making a right turn yesterday.
Brought a bottle of CHF-11S steering fluid from the local BMW dealer and that fixed the problem ( so far ).
Old 04-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Members

i've got the "active steering malfunction" error twice
it got away by itself after a couple of hours both times :S
Old 04-14-2009, 04:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bilbo1' post='846711' date='Apr 14 2009, 06:07 PM
i've got the "active steering malfunction" error twice
it got away by itself after a couple of hours both times :S
You are good luck man
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Active Steering errors will arise periodically, especially after the car sits for a while. BMW knows this and has included recalibration instructions in your Owner's Manual. Essentially turning the wheel right until it stops, left until it stops. Repeat for good measure. Shut down then restart. That cures most AS errors.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Members

My Ride: See signature

I would get a similar warning, but mine mentioned a possible fluid leak but only on cold mornings (below 37*) and only after making the first LH turn of the day. Adding more fluid fixed this problem for me. At least, it didn't re-appear on the cold days we had since then.

Yours sounds more like a reset is required as previously suggested.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport Package, Titanium Gray II Metallic, Wheel Style 124

i would not mind flushing the Steering Fluid

how is your steering when Malfunction?

normal, still, wobbly

i had a Malfunction and my ride felt like a boat... and i was monitoring my tire pressure for weeks to make sure it was 32psi front and 35 psi in rear but it seem to have corrected it self
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Oriental Metallic Blue Sports and Premium Package L7 Sound

Check with BMW on the recall of the sensors. i had mine come periodically and they finally replaced the sensor and put he problem to rest.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 (7/04) 545i 6-Spd Manual Metallic Silver Gray with Gray Interior Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Active Steering, Navigation, Rear Sunshades, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Shades, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, HUD, Rear Side Airbags, PDC, Bluetooth Retrofit Exterior: Venture Clear Bra, Bright Angel Eyes, Euro Reflectors, Blackened Grill, VMR 713 19" Staggered with General UHPs, 13% tint rear windows Engine: K&N Air Filter, Deleted Carbon Filter , RPI Scoop, RPI Exhaust

Mine failed several times like that. At last they found a leak on the powersteering pump . Check out if it pulsates when you are turning. The leak comes from the front right side, you can see a stain if you let it sit over several days

Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

hey guys, have just had my second active steering fault and this time it occurred at high speed. I was out in the country for the weekend and it failed in the middle of a sweeping left hand bend. Not happy! I have just been upgraded to an AGM battery a week or two ago by the dealer so I know it isn't electrical, and I've driven around 500km before this happened so I know the battery should have been charged up.

Does anyone have any other checks or solutions besides battery and fluid level? They are both ok. I have searched and read over 20 pages of posts and am about to call the dealer....

Cheers

J

Quick Reply: Active Steering Malfunction