E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering malfunction 545i

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

Did anyone encounter the active steering malfunction after a brake recall done at BMW? Or maybe due to a heavy snow/icy conditions?

Yesterday had my brake recall done in my 2005 545i. Today, it took me 30 minutes to get into my car due to a heavy snow fall yesterday (Chicago.) Car was almost completely covered in snow.

Started it, and after 2-3 minutes of driving the yellow steering malfunction warning came up. It says to stop the cart and restart it. Did this twice but the light is still on.

Car drives without any problems, and I did not notice any change in handling/steering. Any ideas? Some sensor covered in snow? Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

The brake recall should not affect the active steering. All they do is replace the vacuum line between the vacuum pump and brake master cylinder.

For your steering malfunction, check the power steering fluid level first. You know where that is, right? Just behind the coolant reservoir. Marked with CHF-11S only.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60
The brake recall should not affect the active steering. All they do is replace the vacuum line between the vacuum pump and brake master cylinder.

For your steering malfunction, check the power steering fluid level first. You know where that is, right? Just behind the coolant reservoir. Marked with CHF-11S only.
yeah, just hope that the fluid is low(which is common), otherwise it might cost you $$$$
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
Members

yea it happened to me once in a while. try resetting the Active Steering, i've always done that and every other starting of the car will clear it.. i didn't pay much attention to it, as far as what caused it.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Members

I got the same problem 3 weeks ago , I search and the guy in some forum said " start the car, turn the steering all the way to left, and go all the way right, then go back to the center. Stop the power, remove the key. thn start again"

I did the same, and its gone.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Members

it happens in Cold Weather, a quick reset to the active steering should take care of it.

here is how you do this: Turn the key so all the eletronics are on but do not start the ignition. Now turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, and then back to center. Now turn the car off and wait a few seconds before turning it back on.

If it doesn't work the first time try it again!!

good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ideanz
I got the same problem 3 weeks ago , I search and the guy in some forum said " start the car, turn the steering all the way to left, and go all the way right, then go back to the center. Stop the power, remove the key. thn start again"

I did the same, and its gone.
my bad, didnt see your post!!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lasvegasguy
my bad, didnt see your post!!
Its fine
we just want to help.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Members

Thank you guys for the info. I checked the fluid yesterday and it was ok. I will try to reset it today...hope it solves the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

Originally Posted by krzyschicago
Hi guys,

Did anyone encounter the active steering malfunction after a brake recall done at BMW? Or maybe due to a heavy snow/icy conditions?

Yesterday had my brake recall done in my 2005 545i. Today, it took me 30 minutes to get into my car due to a heavy snow fall yesterday (Chicago.) Car was almost completely covered in snow.

Started it, and after 2-3 minutes of driving the yellow steering malfunction warning came up. It says to stop the cart and restart it. Did this twice but the light is still on.

Car drives without any problems, and I did not notice any change in handling/steering. Any ideas? Some sensor covered in snow? Thanks!
Check your steering Fluid level. If the levels low and the temperature is cold, you will get that message.

Quick Reply: Active steering malfunction 545i