E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active steering faulty and servotronic faulty at the same time

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys I need some help!! Sometimes when I start my car, the idrive pop up active steering faulty and servotronic faulty at the same time...! When I drive the car with the code on, the active steering gone and the steering feel much heavier! But after awhile when I restart the car all the code are gone and back to normal~~~ It keep happen for the past few week, Any idea?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by Ray88' post='701851' date='Oct 24 2008, 11:51 AM
Guys I need some help!! Sometimes when I start my car, the idrive pop up active steering faulty and servotronic faulty at the same time...! When I drive the car with the code on, the active steering gone and the steering feel much heavier! But after awhile when I restart the car all the code are gone and back to normal~~~ It keep happen for the past few week, Any idea?
Hearsay replace battery can fix it. Good Luck !!!
Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Nav, Logic 7, sport pkg, premium pkg, sport seats, Hoen fogs, rear LED tail lights, super white license bulbs, heated front and rear seats, M-tech front and rear bumper covers, M5 trunks spoiler and finisher. Desiring euro xenon headlights.

Originally Posted by Ray88' post='701851' date='Oct 23 2008, 11:51 PM
I have the same problem as well, but only with the active steering. I heard that it might be a weak battery and was told to replace the battery and turn the steering wheel left to right and it will clear the error..
Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by Ray88' post='701851' date='Oct 24 2008, 04:51 AM
I had that happen to me several times (exact same symptoms as you too). The first couple of times, the dealer said it was a steering wheel alignment sensor, and simply re-aligned it for me (allegedly). Finally, it happened again, but this time whilst out of warranty. They diagnosed it to be a control unit failure (can't remember the exact component) and, after asking, offered to split the cost of parts and labour with me. I declined this time, but accepted a couple months later when it happened again. Cost me almost ?300, but it's not happened again since (fingers crossed).

Hope it's just the battery thing for you, as that's going to be a lot cheaper to put right.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Contributors

most likely the battery is going, especially since the codes clear up after driving & restarting.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I had this exact problem last week, I took the vehicle to dealership and they said no codes were found but they did have to recalibrate the system and since then I haven't ahd any issues.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Members

I don't think it's the battery issue, since I just changed a new battery 2 months ago! will drop down my car to BMW service center next week for diagnose, hope they can find the problem! Will keep u guys post!
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Ray88' post='702873' date='Oct 24 2008, 06:56 PM
I don't think it's the battery issue, since I just changed a new battery 2 months ago! will drop down my car to BMW service center next week for diagnose, hope they can find the problem! Will keep u guys post!
GL
Old 10-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='702880' date='Oct 24 2008, 09:04 PM
GL
I got a call form service center this morning and said they will flash the latest ver idrive (take 8-10hr ) and see if the faulty will pop up again. Hope the new program can help!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i - Black on Black, Maple Anthracite. Cold, Premium, Sport, Nav, Heads Up Display, Logic 7, Power Rear Sunshade.

Originally Posted by Ray88' post='701851' date='Oct 23 2008, 10:51 PM
I got the active steering fault a couple of days ago. The manual said to turn the wheel all the way to the left then back to neutral and re-start the car. That cleared it for me.

Quick Reply: Active steering faulty and servotronic faulty at the same time