E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Faulty

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:43 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: AmethystGrau '03 530i

I have had that warning coming up twice in the last three months, and disappeared after the car was turned off and restarted.

The message wasn't even stored in my iDrive. I tried to recall it to show it to the dealer but iDrive said 'No Fault'.

I'm mystified, anyone else have this problem.

The car is 2003 530i, 41000kms.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='471942' date='Sep 20 2007, 03:43 AM
I have had that warning coming up twice in the last three months, and disappeared after the car was turned off and restarted.

The message wasn't even stored in my iDrive. I tried to recall it to show it to the dealer but iDrive said 'No Fault'.

I'm mystified, anyone else have this problem.

The car is 2003 530i, 41000kms.
This happened when you park the car with steering wheel turn on left or right .

if you have the diag at the dealer they will see the fault memorised by the car and will tell them how many time you got , everything in this car is stored
Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 AM
Members

So I can't leave the wheels turned? How about the lesson we learned when parking the car on a slope and turning the wheels toward the footpath in case the car moves?

Regardless, is my Active Steering gonna crap out on me, or is it business as usual?
Old 09-20-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

As vishwen said, no need to show to the dealer the fault message in iDrive. The error log is saved in the car and dealer can check it.

Active Steering fault can indicate lots of problems. Check the hidraulic fluid level first.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i Olivin Green Metallic, dark leatherette interior with dark exclusive wooden trim. Comfort seats,Active Seats, RFT, Active steering, DSC, DTC, Dynamic Drive,Steptronic,business naviation, business sound system, bluetooth telephone kit. M technics kit.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='471993' date='Sep 20 2007, 04:04 PM
As vishwen said, no need to show to the dealer the fault message in iDrive. The error log is saved in the car and dealer can check it.

Active Steering fault can indicate lots of problems. Check the hidraulic fluid level first.
Had the same problem two months back.. it appeared once after parking the car on a slope, wheels turned.. then never had the same issue again.
guess u should check it at the next service.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Originally Posted by bmfan70' post='472325' date='Sep 20 2007, 04:06 PM
Had the same problem two months back.. it appeared once after parking the car on a slope, wheels turned.. then never had the same issue again.
guess u should check it at the next service.

I had exactly this same issue about a month ago. The hydraulic fluid was low and since it has been topped off, I haven't seen the fault recur. Hope this helps.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:54 AM
Members

Hah, hopefully it's the fluid. I booked it for next Wednesday as they don;t have a loaner for sooner booking.

Where's can one check the fluid? Is it the big container just in front of the micro-filter?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='472584' date='Sep 21 2007, 11:54 AM
Hah, hopefully it's the fluid. I booked it for next Wednesday as they don;t have a loaner for sooner booking.

Where's can one check the fluid? Is it the big container just in front of the micro-filter?
Hi,

which software versio do you have in your car? I had that issue in my 04 530i and it was fixed in version 21 or something like that. Never came back after upgrade.

Regards,
Old 09-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I have had it about three times. First cold day (below freezing) the car ever saw about two years ago, again (6 months later) on a hot Florida day when romping on the gas and turning at th esame time from a stop, then again yesterday (12 months after #2) when at a stop I accelerated rapidly and turning at same time. Each time I took a picture just in case I needed to prove to Service of the error message. I do not believe I have every actually had them find anything wrong.

edit: I forgot to include my recent fault picture. I think there is more than just this fault.

Active Steering Faulty-img_0234.jpg
Old 09-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Members

Here's what my SA said:
"It would be recommend to check the active steering fault with the diagnostic computer."

It just felt strange as my steering suddenly off-center, turn signals stopped auto canceling etc.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Faulty