E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Failure and Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Sport

I ran into the same issue when the car was parked in the cold or overnight. The car's currently at the dealership, they said it was a faulty alternator causing spikes that created the active steering errors. Will see if everything's fixed tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

My one instance of a low battery condition causing an AS failure and the alert message at startup cleared itself. I drove for a few minutes with the AS/PS obviously not working and the alert displayed. The alert then cleared as I was driving the steering returned to normal. That happened just once, and was the result of listening to the radio quite a while with the motor off (had to keep recycling through start/stop listen as the ACC power shuts off after maybe 15-20 minutes).
Cal
Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

My one instance of a low battery condition causing an AS failure and the alert message at startup cleared itself. I drove for a few minutes with the AS/PS obviously not working and the alert displayed. The alert then cleared as I was driving the steering returned to normal. That happened just once, and was the result of listening to the radio quite a while with the motor off (had to keep recycling through start/stop listen as the ACC power shuts off after maybe 15-20 minutes). I interpreted the behavior to be one of conserving battery charge for the critical functions (by switching off the AS) until the alternator had restored the battery storage levels to safe reserve.
Cal
Old 12-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: It's an E60 545I 6 speed.

Damn, I'm worried now after reading this. I have a garage, but it's not heated. And up here in Montana it obviously can get really cold. I leave the car inside the garage on cold nasty wintery days. Should I start the car every couple days when I have it in there? Is there any recall for this problem?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Members

i started my car and let it idle for 10 min or so. the message went away so no worries!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Lots of appreciated replies , thanks ? but:

How can low fluid shut down my clock? Or zero my accrued MPG? On every occasion this scenario had caused me to reset many I Drive functions.

My question was has anyone related this issue to cold weather. hjcsdca (from sunny California!!) did. I think LaJolla is sunny, unless it?s on fire.

My original problem was over a year ago. I have the same battery now as I had then.

I do have a problem with 1600?s response. The AS is one of my favorite features on my E60. Mrs. sixcard?s E90 steers like a freaking tricycle in the mud. This is no more than a minor annoyance and, if nothing else, a good excuse to head down to my dealer and look at all the cars I might have bought. This issue is far outweighed by all the good things I like about my E60.

It still is under warranty and the warranty will cover it. I suspect I may or may not see it again. I know my SA reads E60.net ? he will be expecting me. And no doubt he will update my software.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

An inexpensive charger (I like the Battery Tender) will tide you through the several-day periods in the winter. I think these e60's have so much going on electronically that a single battery is at its margin. In fact I think I've read that some 2009 or 10 models are to be supplied with 2 batteries. Just put a trickle charger on the car if you're planning to leave it several days.

Cal
Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='737333' date='Dec 3 2008, 08:30 PM
Lots of appreciated replies , thanks ? but:

How can low fluid shut down my clock? Or zero my accrued MPG? On every occasion this scenario had caused me to reset many I Drive functions.

My question was has anyone related this issue to cold weather. hjcsdca (from sunny California!!) did. I think LaJolla is sunny, unless it?s on fire.

My original problem was over a year ago. I have the same battery now as I had then.

I do have a problem with 1600?s response. The AS is one of my favorite features on my E60. Mrs. sixcard?s E90 steers like a freaking tricycle in the mud. This is no more than a minor annoyance and, if nothing else, a good excuse to head down to my dealer and look at all the cars I might have bought. This issue is far outweighed by all the good things I like about my E60.

It still is under warranty and the warranty will cover it. I suspect I may or may not see it again. I know my SA reads E60.net ? he will be expecting me. And no doubt he will update my software.
Sixcard, I do not understand your problem with my response to your issues. The device may have wonderful intentions. It just does not perform as intended.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Senior Members

Now here's an update for you concerning what I've come to think of as Marginal Battery Storage capacity -- as noted above a short spell of playing tunes with the motor off was enough to put my battery in a low charge state leading to AS failure for a little while. Today, I left the car at the airport at about 6am, and returned to it at about 3:30pm. As I approached the car I noticed I had left the lights on..... ut oh!! Car unlocked fine via CA, and when I pressed the Start button, there was no hesitation -- started right up!

Now I would have guessed I'd be deader than a door nail. Mysterious.

Cal
Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by 1600' post='737756' date='Dec 4 2008, 11:37 AM
Sixcard, I do not understand your problem with my response to your issues. The device may have wonderful intentions. It just does not perform as intended.
Consider the logic.

Many of the replies suggested a battery problem. If the battery is shot we blame the AS system???

Several suggested the fluid level. I think that would be the owner?s responsibility and not necessarily the AS system.

And consider that of the 17,000, or so, miles on the clock the AS system has done a good job for 16,990, or so. That?s 99.94% OK. And the other 0.06% of the time I got some extra arm/shoulder exercise.

Point is, I don?t know the cause of the problem and I won?t jump to one without more info and logic.

I do know that about eleven months ago the same symptoms were corrected after an upgrade of the computer system. That was about when the weather turned colder here in north Georgia last year.

That steers me toward some electronic I?s or O?s that are going astray.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Failure and Warning