E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering Failure and Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Over time I?ve read posts about an I Drive Active Steering warning and failure of the power assist.

I have had several of these warnings when starting and it has also zeroed out the time, date and other functions.

Seems like I got a CIP update and the issue was resolved.

Early yesterday, however, it happened again. It was the coldest morning so far this season and the car was left outdoors. It happened later that day also. In both cases the AS was restored but the other function remained screwed up.

Question: Has anyone associated this issue with cold weather?

Maybe a high current draw to start the cold engine?

Any thoughts on this?

sixcard
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
asg
Members

My Ride: Arpil '04 production 545, Orient Blue, Sport Pkg, Step, CWP, NAV, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, PDC, Sat Prep, cip v20.02 (bluetooth and mp3 working great)

Likely a battery issue/low voltage. May need a replacement battery.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='736905' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:23 PM
Over time I?ve read posts about an I Drive Active Steering warning and failure of the power assist.

I have had several of these warnings when starting and it has also zeroed out the time, date and other functions.

Early yesterday, however, it happened again. It was the coldest morning so far this season and the car was left outdoors. It happened later that day also. In both cases the AS was restored but the other function remained screwed up.
Any thoughts on this?
sixcard
The update may have cleared the system of fault messages but the source of the problem was not identified and rectified. Bring it back and have them complete diagnostics, determine system / part(s) at fault, and correct. These cars are very sensitive to battery voltage but I doubt that temps in GA have ever dropped lower than ambient temps in other places where these cars are sold and driven.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by asg' post='736927' date='Dec 3 2008, 09:43 AM
Likely a battery issue/low voltage. May need a replacement battery.

+1 That'd be my guess on so new a car. I've actually drained my battery down enough for this to occur just sitting in the car for 90 minutes listening to the Logic7.

Cal
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

try resetting the active steering
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

It continues to amaze me what a total lemon option is this thing called Active Steering. As I've mentioned before, it caused me to dump my beloved 545i.
BMW should own up to their responsibility for this clearly defective device. I would love to see a pile of this bloody wiring piled high and ignited. Never, ever include this piece of garbage on you new or used purchase. The standard steering is a joy. Few vehicles have steering so connected to the road. Why one would opt for anything else is misguided (by BMW) thinking. Stick with the tried and true, please.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='736905' date='Dec 3 2008, 12:23 PM

Any thoughts on this?

sixcard
I had the same problem, the active steering malfuntion message would appear and then go away after a couple of hrs and sometime a couple of days. I took it in to the dealership and the checked the car and told me that the fluid was over filled and they actually took some off and got it to the right level. I didn't get any error since then.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

active steering is a wonderful feature... but at the same time I agree with 1600, it is not a very reliable option, too complex for its own good, something is always f'ing up
Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Members

wow the same thing just happened to me like 5 min ago. my car has been sitting for about a week now so im guessing its low battery. how do i reset it? im going to check the fluid now and for the battery, maybe ill just let it run to charge it up a bit.

Quick Reply: Active Steering Failure and Warning