E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steering/DSC fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Default Active steering/DSC fault

Interesting fault in my 2008 550i. Getting DSC, active steering, and yellow brake lights on dash. idrive is saying active steering initializing...which never goes away. Dynamic stability control I don't recall the exact message, and the roll assistance for the last message. Looking through forums has pointed me towards the SZL. Even though my scan tool is still getting a reading for the steering angle, I pulled it and cleaned the optical disk. Reinstalled and nothing has changed. Kind of lost on where to look now. Any suggestions or has anybody else had a similar problem?
Fault codes from my scanner
6DEC DSC:interface, active front steering
6146 AL control unit cannot change to active mode, under voltage
614A AL motor position angle not initialized
Old 06-02-2016, 11:13 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XiT Sport Wagon

Battery going out?
Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i

Originally Posted by MiniNL
Battery going out?
Battery replaced, fault occurred before replacement
Getting correct readings from wheel speed sensors as well.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

How many miles do you have on your car. If you changed the battery and had it programmed correctly then it could be the voltage regulator.

Did all these faults happen at once which made you change the battery? Or one at a time and failed to fix them when they arose.

What scanner are you using to troubleshoot. Have you tried to connect with the active steering control unit or MPM to see if it responds with more than a regular scanner (BMW software). That can also be the issue. Check in the trunk to see if is not wet or show signs of water damage, see if you can talk to it, check the voltage regulator.

This is all I can thing of right now.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i E60

Originally Posted by Adamk23
Interesting fault in my 2008 550i. Getting DSC, active steering, and yellow brake lights on dash. idrive is saying active steering initializing...which never goes away. Dynamic stability control I don't recall the exact message, and the roll assistance for the last message. Looking through forums has pointed me towards the SZL. Even though my scan tool is still getting a reading for the steering angle, I pulled it and cleaned the optical disk. Reinstalled and nothing has changed. Kind of lost on where to look now. Any suggestions or has anybody else had a similar problem?
Fault codes from my scanner
6DEC DSC:interface, active front steering
6146 AL control unit cannot change to active mode, under voltage

did you figure it out ??
my car 550i 2008 having same problem dont know what to do
Old 04-07-2020, 08:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/Sport Package

Any chance we could get some more information on what ever happened with this issue and whether or not it was resolved? I'm having the exact same issue and I'm not sure how to proceed. I just dismantles the steering column and cleaned the steering angle sensor even though it was meticulously clean to begin with. Not sure what else I can do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jesse

2008 550i Sport
Old 04-07-2020, 09:09 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jwoell
Any chance we could get some more information on what ever happened with this issue and whether or not it was resolved? I'm having the exact same issue and I'm not sure how to proceed. I just dismantles the steering column and cleaned the steering angle sensor even though it was meticulously clean to begin with. Not sure what else I can do. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jesse

2008 550i Sport
yes actually there is an sensor which is responsible for light adjustment located uper the right wheel axe this one i found it broken so i change it and every thing become ok all msgs gone it was because this tiny thing try it
Old 04-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Have you read the codes yet. If not get the code. That can be cause by a few things and to pinpoint where you need the code
Old 04-08-2020, 08:00 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/Sport Package

Thanks for the replies. The codes I'm getting from my scanner are:

D17C - CAN Message with fault value
6DEC - interface, active front steering
63DD - interface DSC

I'm getting the standard 3 lights on the dash. The steering wheel with an exclamation point next to it, the DSC error light, and a yellow brake light.

I already cleaned the steering angle sensor and I'm pretty confident that's not the issue. I was watching the sensor output values on my scanner in realtime and it appeared to be working perfectly there as well.

Ghaith_550i, Is there any more info you can give me on this light sensor that you mentioned earlier? I wasn't quite understanding the post.

Thanks again for any info you might have,

Last edited by jwoell; 04-08-2020 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Ghaith_550i
Old 04-08-2020, 08:16 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jwoell
Thanks for the replies. The codes I'm getting from my scanner are:

D17C - CAN Message with fault value
6DEC - interface, active front steering
63DD - interface DSC

I'm getting the standard 3 lights on the dash. The steering wheel with an exclamation point next to it, the DSC error light, and a yellow brake light.

I already cleaned the steering angle sensor and I'm pretty confident that's not the issue. I was watching the sensor output values on my scanner in realtime and it appeared to be working perfectly there as well.

Ghaith_550i, Is there any more info you can give me on this light sensor that you mentioned earlier? I wasn't quite understanding the post.

Thanks again for any info you might have,

This is the one i was having same codes i never thoughts it is because of this but i change it because it was broken so after that every thing gone no codes or lights warning try it If still not try to check wheel balance

Quick Reply: Active steering/DSC fault