E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530isport packagepremium packageactive steeringxenon hids20mm H&R spacers in the rear6 spd51kpurchase price , 32k back in 2006
Model Year: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='992772' date='Aug 29 2009, 11:29 PM
where's the steering wheel fluid located at? i tried looking for it the other day, but came up empty

it's on the right side of your engine if you are standing directly in front of the car.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

This is a symptom of a problem I have had and has been discussed in previous threads. I suggest a good search.

Our E60 is not a daily driver. The alternator cannot charge the battery enough to accommodate all the drain on the battery when shut down. I consider this a serious design screw up by BMW.

After many trips to the dealer they finally pointed to my ?Driving Profile? and suggested a trickle charger.

I hard wired mine in the trunk and we plug it in frequently. Our problem, its cause and solution are now under control.

BTW another symptom we typically saw was that the instrument cluster accumulated date and clock would be reset to zero. And the AS would recover in approximate 30 seconds of driving.

sixcard
Old 09-02-2009, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='995751' date='Sep 2 2009, 05:27 AM
This is a symptom of a problem I have had and has been discussed in previous threads. I suggest a good search.

Our E60 is not a daily driver. The alternator cannot charge the battery enough to accommodate all the drain on the battery when shut down. I consider this a serious design screw up by BMW.

After many trips to the dealer they finally pointed to my ?Driving Profile? and suggested a trickle charger.

I hard wired mine in the trunk and we plug it in frequently. Our problem, its cause and solution are now under control.

BTW another symptom we typically saw was that the instrument cluster accumulated date and clock would be reset to zero. And the AS would recover in approximate 30 seconds of driving.

sixcard
Interesting, because living in Manhattan I drive this vehicle once a week or maybe even less and heading towards 3 years with this puppy...no battery problems!
So, it may be an individual issue rather than endemic to all e60s.
I'm knocking wood right now!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Members

I drive this as a daily driver. It hasnt gone away, I am thinking about putting a trickle charger on it over night to see if that helps any, just to see if for some reason there isnt enough voltages when I start the car to make the AS work. Wich I guess would entail that the altenator is about gone. If not it looks like it will be the sensors.

I would also notice once in while my RDS gets reset on my radio. I use the same key so i know it isnt a preference thing.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='995751' date='Sep 2 2009, 02:27 AM

sixcard

+1