E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Arrived on 12/31/09 2009 Black Sapphire Metallic 535i with Steptronic, Auburn interior, Sport and Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium, PDC, Nav, Comfort Access. Additions include Valentine 1 Hardwire and Dinan Stage II! Graduating from a 2006 - 530i

I am looking at trading an E46 330i for a 530i. I really like to attend DE events and lapping days at the tracks. The motoring press says active steering changes ratios too quickly during hard braking into a turn, adding difficulty in turn in. Does anyone have a real world experience with high performance driving an active steering? Thanks,
Old 12-08-2005, 08:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CajunE60' post='209018' date='Dec 8 2005, 09:26 PM
I am looking at trading an E46 330i for a 530i. I really like to attend DE events and lapping days at the tracks. The motoring press says active steering changes ratios too quickly during hard braking into a turn, adding difficulty in turn in. Does anyone have a real world experience with high performance driving an active steering? Thanks,

Yup on my own and on the E90 330 during the Ultimate Driving Experience that BMW offered.

Its not true. Steering ratios dont change too quickly during hard breaking and turn in and doesnt add difficulty. Believe me I drove that 330 HARD!!!! got that back end out and all. Its fine. Get it. AS is a must! Dont believe me? Ask Rody. He was at the BMW UDE also... once session before me.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CajunE60' post='209018' date='Dec 8 2005, 09:26 PM
It's not a problem.

Couple of warm up laps and AS will be like second-nature.

To me, AS is one of the few technological "advancements" that I really, really like.

AS v. non-AS to me is like the advancement from non-power steering to the now-industry-standard power steering.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

the press lives with it for few hours at stretch and booed it! Losers!
i've been driving it for couple of years and was driving another e60 without it and i felt safer and more agile with A/S.
I found myself white knuckling during high speed run and cross arms on taking 90 deg corner with non active steering.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Agree with all of the above replies, big fan of AS. It's utterly predictable in use and is (along with the HUD) the thing I miss most when driving any other car. Personally I think the two of the biggest misperceptions around AS are that it reduces feel or that it gets written off as "parking aid" - IMHO neither are accurate.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 Limo with M-Sport package(m5 mirrors,m5 trunk finisher,m172 summer wheels,blk front grills,m5 paddle shift kit(my530i),m pedal covers,m floor mats, E87 2005 The Misses car E39 2002 Touring with M-Sport package/family wagon(gone but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='209021

Yup on my own and on the E90 330 during the Ultimate Driving Experience that BMW offered.

Its not true. Steering ratios dont change too quickly during hard breaking and turn in and doesnt add difficulty. Believe me I drove that 330 HARD!!!! got that back end out and all. Its fine. Get it. AS is a must! Dont believe me? Ask Rody. He was at the BMW UDE also... once session before me.
[/quote]
Did same thing here through my dealer AS is a must have now
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Just did the 6er Driving Experience up at PC in Spartanburg. Drove their 6ers on track and my 6er on the 80 mile trip between Spartanburg and Ashville on some lovely twisties, some with changing radius, up and down hill. Mine is with AS and I loved it. Never an unexpected response. Very happy and I will get it if available on any future car. Go for it, I think you will be pleased with it.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:53 AM
JDN
Contributors

My track instructor drove the first turn around the track. When we were swapping back, I asked him how the active steering treated him. He wasn't even aware that the car had active steering -- said he did not feel a thing unusual.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

You don't notice active steering until you get used to driving a car with it.... and then drive a car without it.

Anytime I drive a car without AS now, I nearly wreck it because I try to make a right turn, and don't turn the wheel enough.

Active Steering rules.

I think it is actually better for high-performance driving, since it allows the driver to keep his hands on the wheel more.... ie, making a big turn, you don't have to remove hands to turn wheel a lot.

I was watching a video of some guys racing on a very twisty mountain road. The cameras were showing how much they had to turn the steering wheel to make the turns. These guys were frantic, crossing over hands to get the steerin wheel turned in time to make the hairpin turns. The whole time I was thinking, active steering could really help out there.

When I drive my car, my hands are at 9 & 3 o'clock. They never come off the wheel... not even for a right turn at a stop sign. I love that. Effortless to drive, and I feel more in control.

I sincerely hope they will add Active Steering to the M5.... at least as an option.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

do a search about active steering...there are many opinions and pros and cons about it. Also there are a few discussions about the reason the m5 doesn't have as.

Quick Reply: Active Steering