E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active steer fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been on these forums for awhile, in part because of my love/hate relationship with the e60. Recently ive been struck with the worst of what Active Steering can throw at you. The guys are right about BMW being a power hog. An EXCELLENT battery and proper charging battery will save you a bunch of sporadic codes and lights popping up.
Ive got it all solved. Trust me, I've done plenty of research in the 2 years period that it would fail.
#1 Check your Power Steering Fluid and top off with CHF11S. This will cause your random sporadic faults.
#2 Determine you have no leaks, if you do need topping off of fluid. Check your Steering boot/dust covers for fluid leaks. The covers will need to get removed and reinstalled to do a proper inspection, they can hide years of leakage, and then like in my case, all pour out at once after a deteriorated seal.
#3 Determine INPA can reinitialize your active steering successfully. Essentially finish with a green screen on INPA and you have done this process successfully. Otherwise, find out what codes are not allowing you to reinitialize. Find someone who can remote into your OBD2. I don't currently provide that service, but there may be someone on here who does, or locally around your area.
#4 Determine integrity of AFS module. These are prone to water damage from poor sunroof water channeling. A bad module may still be accessable from INPA, may be slow loading.

My Case: changed module to remedy Active Steering fault. Changed steering rack to remedy leaking seals. No other way out.