E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Roll Stabilization Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Hey Guys,

My battery died a few days ago, I've since had it replaced, but now my car feels very sloppy.. and bouncy while driving on the Highway. It feels like a 02 Ford Taurus. :-( Around town it feels fine. I've gone through the reseting of the Active Steering, and that didn't help. I now believe it has something to do with my Active Roll Stabilization. I've made an appointment to bring it to the dealer, but they can't see me until Monday. Do you know of anything I can try before then? Topping off any fluids or anything?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

anyone??
Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Have you checked your front suspension, especially the bushings? From what I read so far, bouncy is one of the main thing caused by worn out bushings.

As for the active roll stabilization, I don't think it would cause the bounciness. I had a leak from the stabilization and was replaced under warranty but never experienced any bounciness.

GL
Old 06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

No I haven't. I guess I can check that.. but the issue is I would think if was something like that.. it wouldn't just show up one day all at once.. you know? Like you would gradually feel it. This is literally a one day it was fine, and the next it wasn't.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Ok, after re-reading what I wrote earlier.. I described the feeling as bouncy.. well that was a poor choice of words.. I would say that the suspension feels loose. When on the highway, if I change lanes, the car feels unsettled. That sounds to me like my Active Roll Stabilization isn't working correctly. Maybe it just needs fluid. BMW can't fit me in until Monday.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would have an ARS error if it was anything with your ARS causing that severe of symptoms. I think the battery is just a red herring and one of your suspension pieces is broken-such as a strut, knuckle, toe link. I would start there. It is NOT your ars I promise
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i pulled the ars fuse once, and i know what you're talking about. the car felt loose....wobbly. lol

pull the fuse for it, and then reinsert it to see if the unit resets maybe?? fuse is above battery in trunk if i remember correctly.
do you have any warnings?
Old 06-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the suggestions..

No I didn't get any warnings at all. I don't know what happened while the two new tires were being put on.. but I find it hard to believe that by putting the tires on and then mounting the wheels back on the car that suspension pieces got broken. I'll look for the fuse to see if it needs replacing or see if just by reseating it, something will change. I'm trying to do anything I can before I have to bring it to the Dealer on Monday.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
Thanks for the suggestions..

No I didn't get any warnings at all. I don't know what happened while the two new tires were being put on.. but I find it hard to believe that by putting the tires on and then mounting the wheels back on the car that suspension pieces got broken. I'll look for the fuse to see if it needs replacing or see if just by reseating it, something will change. I'm trying to do anything I can before I have to bring it to the Dealer on Monday.
so you had new tires put on? who put them on? the ARS module is located behind the wheel well liner, behind the front passenger tire....under the passenger floorboard. maybe someone with a jack or lift damaged it??
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
so you had new tires put on? who put them on? the ARS module is located behind the wheel well liner, behind the front passenger tire....under the passenger floorboard. maybe someone with a jack or lift damaged it??

Sorry.. I haven't been on in a few..

But TownFair Tire put the wheels on. Hmm the location of the module is interesting.. because after bringing the car to BMW, they said that the problem was the ECO Valve malfunction. And it's located in the Steering rack.. and it's not a replaceable part.. the whole steering rack has to be replaced. And the cost........... $4,600. :-) Luckily this is covered with my Aftermarket Warranty! Just wanted to share the (pain) story. I dropped the car off yesterday (Monday) and probably won't get it back until Thursday or Friday of this week.

Quick Reply: Active Roll Stabilization Issue