E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Active Cruise Control interferes with radar detector BEL STIR

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Hey guys, need your opinions on this problem.

I posted this to the redardetector.net board, however need BMW-specific opinion, plus it takes a while for posts to get approved there, so here it is:

I have 2009 BMW E61 (535xiT) with Active Cruise Control (stop and go).
I finally found time over the weekend to install my brand new BEL STIR remote radar detector, drove the car with it and RD is going off constantly with K-band alert at around 24,229 to 24,247 Khz frequency.
Couple of hours later after digging around my car I figured out that it is an Active Cruise Control (ACC) feature on my car that is broadcasting in above frequency range. I did test this RD before installation by placing it on the dashboard and driving around town for a couple of days - all worked well. My RD sensor was installed in the lower bumper grill, see the pic below:
2. Green spot - lower grill on driver side

<div>

My post on RD sensor location here:
My link

The three ACC sensors are located all around front bumper:
two behind a bumper cover either side of license plate and 3rd, visible in the picture, is in lower grill on pass side.

Looked at STIR manual - I can not segment K-band, only disable the entire band.
Am I screwed?
After spending $ on RD and 2 days installing it this RD is pretty much useless??

Turning off ACC is not really an option since the car maybe spitting warnings all the time. Besides, I used it in heavy stop and go traffic and it really works great (scary, but works)
However, if this is my only option, is it OK to disable ACC by pulling out its fuse? Will I get nagging messages about some sort of system failure?

Wouldn't it be great if RD manufacturers or dealers warn you before selling a product that doesn't work for your application? I did a lot of research before spending this much money on RD, including complaints about parking sensors interference (which I also have) from some cars, windshields etc.
My car did not come up in any search...

Any ideas? (on how to insulate RD sensor, relocate it etc)
I just do not see myself driving with RD on my windshield...

Thanks
Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

If ACC was causing interference then it would do so no matter where you mount the RD. It doesn't make sense as to why it caused interference on the bumper and not the dashboard - both locations would easily pick up a K-band broadcast.

FWIW, hardly anyone uses K-band anymore. Most speed detectors utilize laser or Ka-band.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535xiT Silver/Gray with Sport, Nav, Cold, Convenience, Logic7 and more.

Originally Posted by pukka
If ACC was causing interference then it would do so no matter where you mount the RD. It doesn't make sense as to why it caused interference on the bumper and not the dashboard - both locations would easily pick up a K-band broadcast.

FWIW, hardly anyone uses K-band anymore. Most speed detectors utilize laser or Ka-band.
It did not make sense to me either, but that's what happened, I don't have any reasonable explanation.

Do you have any idea of a K-band radar share out there?
I am reading this thread here, and it sounds like people are still concerned with K-band radars:
Some infor on K-band interference, Post 11 and some others

Also this is interesting, only I have BEL, which is almost identical to 9500ci:
Post #13:
Q: I wonder if the 9500ci has to be operated in spec mode for the filtering feature to work.A: yes must be in specs otherwise you will not hear any sound at all. it is not perfect but is a solution for those that already have/want distronic.

Not sure what spec mode in on Passport, but I have expert mode in BEL stir, which can display multiple threats at the same time, sorted by signal strength.
This is little help, since my RD is constantly showing K-band threat, but when there is say a Ka band in range, it will also alert me to it.

Spoke to my BMW dealer, not much help there, but they did say that they can not disable ACC system in my car, not even with programming - the car will still be looking for ACC system and report an error if not found. Does this make sense?

Called BEL and they suggested I try connecting RD power to a different circuit in my car, really??
If that does not help, they can sell me an RF filter for power supply to filter out any possible interference.
Unless I am missing the point completely, how is power supply filtering is going to fix my issue?
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Why don't you try a different RD all together? Borrow one and test it out.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Why don't you try a different RD all together? Borrow one and test it out.
I wish I could, but I do not have sources to borrow an RD, esp remote version.
Wouldn't it be nice if I could rent one for a few weeks...
Old 11-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

FWIW - when you tested the RD mounted to the front bumper, did you make sure the PDC was turned off? Remember it automatically activates when you shift into reverse and does not turn off unless you either press the PDC button or drive faster than 10-15mph. Just a guess....
Old 11-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I have V1 and it's interfere with GPS antenna.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
Never had that problem - and I used my V1 in several different cars with NAV.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
FWIW - when you tested the RD mounted to the front bumper, did you make sure the PDC was turned off? Remember it automatically activates when you shift into reverse and does not turn off unless you either press the PDC button or drive faster than 10-15mph. Just a guess....
Yes, while looking for a source of K-band broadcast I tested with PDC off an on - it does not interfere with RD. Good guess though.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by phlfly
Is it on certain frequency you get an alert? Interesting...

Quick Reply: Active Cruise Control interferes with radar detector BEL STIR