E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Accelleration Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Since it's 1.40 am and I've had some whine I had the idea they chose me.... Maybe it's a joined CEO opportunity
Old 08-21-2004, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 22 2004, 01:40 AM
Since it's 1.40 am and I've had some whine I had the idea they chose me.... Maybe it's a joined CEO opportunity
Hhhhmmm... no problem!
Old 08-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Realtyman, Good to hear your story. First time I did it I held the brake to long and smoked the tires. I love the car and SMG.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 21 2004, 04:00 PM
Yes it's true. But the computer records almost everything, not just launches.
I'd like to see proof that this happens, where is the info stored (how) or is this a wives tale <_<
Old 08-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I've been told by my dealer and a friend at BMW that the car records a whole bunch of information, like how often you stop and start the engine, how high you rev the engine, etc...
No legal proof.
Old 08-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Aug 21 2004, 04:25 PM
Don't want to steal the thread but how the heck can you not get the headlight cleaningsystem due to other options CRrobert..??????
Yeah, and can't get a reasonable answer from BMWNA.

Earlier Thread discussing it.

Another Thread discussing it with price's taken into account. (with comfort seats, equates to about $4k seats )
Old 08-22-2004, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

They probably use that information to determine the maintenance intervals and to determine how their customers actually drive their products for future product development.
I think it would be difficult for BMW to deny warranty coverage when you ask the Judge to watch BMW's sporting TV commercials and show him/her all their literature that says "Ultimate Driving Machine", and show that you followed BMW's maintenance schedule that accounts for less or more agressive driving.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

This thread has some more information on what can be logged, etc.

All cars manufactured since 1996 have a diagnostic connector that conforms to the OBDII standard. BMW probably tracks and logs even more information than that standard requires.

Having said that, with regard to the acceleration assistant, the owner's manual states "Do not use the acceleration assistant too often, as otherwise components
will wear prematurely" so I guess warranty coverage could depend on what BMW considers "abuse."
Old 11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

MAN I wish we got more control over when the car launches with AA... IE holding the downshift and letting go...

Man look at how much control the Euro Spec M5 gets for their Launch Control... now thats "CONTROL" heheh

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=18651
Old 11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='26776' date='Aug 21 2004, 04:55 PM
Well after 7,500 miles I finally decided to give "Accelleration Assist" (as the manual refers to it) a try.
Yahooooooo!
I have always been a fan of SMG. I ALWAYS push the SPORT button - even if I have no intention of driving "spiritedly"
I do find the shifts annoyingly slow unless Sport Button is pushed.
(I NEVER use automatic mode - basically it's "wife mode")
Even at that, I have wished that it could shift quicker at times.
Well I found a way - at least when starting off.
The shifts are DRAMATICALLY different when using Accelleration Assist (as the manual refers to it).

Here's how it went:
Floor the throttle, hear the engine rev, get an odd feeling that the car isn't moving yet, around 4,000 rpm the clutch engages (i.e. drops), rear tires start chirping with a little wheel hop (very little), smile becomes unavoidable, car shifts itself @ redline (hard), rear tires "bark", get pushed back into the seat again, redline shift (hard), rear tires "bark" Again! Exceede speed that will ensure those chrome bracelets, let off the throttle, wipe stupid smile off of my face.

Summary: shifts are "very" hard. Nothing I'd want to do on a daily basis but can come in handy from time to time. Also, I heard/read somewhere that the cars computer records the number of times this is done. Not sure if that is true or not.

Best time with G-Timer w/o accelleration assist was 5.52. Will have to try it with AA if it ever stops raining here. Will post results.
That's a good time without using the AA. It's the best time I have heard for a 545i except for the 5.2 recorded by one of the big 3 US auto mags. Way to go. I am eager to hear your time using AA.

Edit: Long long ago in a place far far away.

Quick Reply: Accelleration Assist