E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC takes so long to get cold!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530I, Black Saphire Metallic Exterior with Aburn Interior & Poplar Wood Trim, SMG, Active Steering, Sports Suspension w/Dynamic Drive, Logic 7, Heads-up Display, Voice Input, 6 Disc CD Changer, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Fold-down Rear Seats, Navigation System, Winter Package with Heated Steering Wheel and Rear Heated Seats, Powered Sunblind for Rear Window, Manual Rear Side Sunblinds, Universal Remote Control, Audio Aux Input

For almost a year now whenever the car has been off over night, the first time the air conditioning (AC) starts it takes a long time for the air to become cold. I can start sweating before it gets cold, living in South Florida. I had my dealer look at it and they said BMW knows about this and says it is normal. Supposedly it can take up to 2 minutes to start cooling the air because of something in the AC system. Is this true or should I have it looked at again? Anyone else with this issue? I don't know if I should just deal or not... THANKS!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Hi Moocow......I don't know of any car that instantly starts cooling. The inside of the car is hot, so its going to take a few minutes to cool it off. My 2005 e60 is just fine. I don't mind the few minutes to start cooling down. But that just my 2 cents of course.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Moocow' post='431241' date='Jun 2 2007, 08:54 PM
For almost a year now whenever the car has been off over night, the first time the air conditioning (AC) starts it takes a long time for the air to become cold. I can start sweating before it gets cold, living in South Florida. I had my dealer look at it and they said BMW knows about this and says it is normal. Supposedly it can take up to 2 minutes to start cooling the air because of something in the AC system. Is this true or should I have it looked at again? Anyone else with this issue? I don't know if I should just deal or not... THANKS!
We can help you better if you give us the year and model etc. of your car.
cheers
vern
Old 06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by vern' post='431255' date='Jun 2 2007, 06:46 PM
We can help you better if you give us the year and model etc. of your car.
cheers
vern

actually how will that help? did they have a better AC system in 04? than in 07? were there known problems with the AC system that I'm not aware of? or you're thinking a V8 will be able to drive the compressor faster so hence will cool the car faster?

To the original poster: Actually... have you checked the iDrive to make sure you're on the coolest setting? Main Menu > Click Left and count how many blue bars there are in the middle. SHould be 4.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

I've noticed my AC takes a while to cool also. I find myself pushing the max AC button often.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:21 AM
Members

Hi all!!
I've found the same problem, but I think it has more to do with the engine temperature
than the system itself.
When the so-called temp indicator reduces one line, then the compressor starts-up and
cools down the air.
So the best way to get quick freezing is kickin' down the accelerator to warm the car engine
as fast as possible (you know BMW sporty concept )
greetings from warm Spain
Old 06-03-2007, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by Mark Romero' post='431334' date='Jun 3 2007, 07:48 AM
I've noticed my AC takes a while to cool also. I find myself pushing the max AC button often.
I do the same and that's in the UK which is not known for it's very warm weather although I do live on the South Coast and our Summers do seem to be getting very much warmer!

I've noticed this ever since getting my E60. Had 2 Audi A6's before and they were noticeably much quicker to get cold, one was petrol and the second was a diesel so that did not affect the efficiency.

Even my wife's Rover 75 cools much more quickly and as far as I'm aware most parts on that car are BMW as it was they who helped develop the car with Rover and supplied most of the components.

However, the E60 was developed after the 75 and so perhaps the new A/C system that BMW uses is not as efficient in order to improve engine economy which seems to be more on the agenda now than aver before and BMW seems to be at the forefront of improving their engines for ever greater economy and lower emissions.

It would be interesting if someone could compare this issue with the previous E39 or older BMWs in general - were they any better?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='431275' date='Jun 3 2007, 04:37 AM
actually how will that help? did they have a better AC system in 04? than in 07? were there known problems with the AC system that I'm not aware of? or you're thinking a V8 will be able to drive the compressor faster so hence will cool the car faster?

To the original poster: Actually... have you checked the iDrive to make sure you're on the coolest setting? Main Menu > Click Left and count how many blue bars there are in the middle. SHould be 4.

I think this is a very "hot" tip. It took me some days before I discovered that different settings for the cooling level. The same applies for the 3 levels of fan speed.

..sigbjoe,,
Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

Ok, well, I had 4 bars but they were all red. Now they are blue and the AC kicks pretty good. I'm an idiot.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Moocow' post='431241' date='Jun 3 2007, 01:54 AM
Hi, I had a 2001 530SE E39 the air conditioning worked fine instant cold, then replaced by 530D E60 in 2004 and the air conditioning produced warm air for approx 2 or 3 minutes before cooling I complained to BMW and they say it is the refrigerant they now have to use. Have just taken delivery of 2007 535D (E60 LCI), this also takes 2 or 3 minutes to go cool.

Quick Reply: AC takes so long to get cold!