E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AC not working ..... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC not working ..... sometimes

I have a 2008 535xi AT with 158K kms that I bought August this year. The AC had been working fine until about 2 weeks ago. When I pushed the AC button with both the driver's and passenger's temp. dials at minimum, the green AC indicator turned on but the air was not cooled. Outside temp. was about 13 deg.C (55 deg.F) when I did this test. I also noticed that the electric fan behind the radiator was not turning and I could not hear the compressor kicking in. However if I pushed the MAX AC button, then the blower fan behind the dashboard switched to maximum speed, the electric fan behind the radiator turned on and cold air blew out of the dashboard grilles, so obviously the AC system worked. As soon as I reduced the blower fan speed, the MAX AC indicator turned off (AC indicator still ON), but the air was no longer cooled, just ambient. This scenario is consistent and repeatable, I tried a few times and it always acted the same way.

Question: is it possible that the AC compressor is dying, so it works under certain conditions, but not always? (It was suggested by someone in this forum when I did a search). Or is this a case of defective AC control module and if so, where is this controller located ? Any comment or advice is highly appreciated
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Have you had the system check for correct freon charge pressure? There are some relatively inexpensive recharge kits. It may be worthwhile to start there - low refrigerant levels can cause compressor cycling.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 AM
New Members

Default AC not working ....... sometimes

Thanks for your suggestion, advancedlogic, really appreciate it.

No, I haven't checked the freon pressure, although the dealer I bought the car from claimed that he topped off the freon when I complained that the AC was not as cold as I expected. Maybe there is a small leak in the system causing the system to lose freon over time .....
I will check it. Thanks again.