E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ac/heater control panel problem after dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

New to the forum after buying an 07 520D. So far so good except that I am now feeling a fool as ac/heater controls are not working after I removed the dash to install a discreet power lead for my Tomtom! The symptoms are blowing hot air at full blast and the controls or switches do not do anything, and there are no lights on the panel. A search on the net as to what the problem might be revealed some instructions for Spec Dock installation which say not to switch on the ignition with the heater control panel unplugged. I realised I have done this when checking the power lead I installed. Could I have damaged something or is it just a simple fix? THe plugs on the back of the panel are plugged in and secure!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

I have OEM experience with heater control or CCP (Climate Control Panels), not specifically BMW but you may want to try cycling the vehicle (on and off) several times and see if computer module eventually recognizes the CCP. Just an idea. By unplugging it and turning ing on the computer may not detect when you replugged in. Why was CCP unplugged from harness?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 AM
New Members

Thanks for the reply. It turns out I am my own worst enemy. The latch for one of the plugs had not been pushed fully home. I only have myself to blame but thankfully turned out to be an easy fix! I unplugged the panel as it was easier for access and didn't think it would be a problem, however reading issues surrounding the control module I will be more careful in future.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I was going to say not plugged in seeming that nothing changed except you unplugged. So you simply did not plug back in.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

It's called the IHK module, and is coded to the car. If you disconnected it with power on, you'll possibly need to recode it.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:36 PM
New Members

Cheers for the replies. Thankfully all working ok after plugging back in properly.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by borderchris
It's called the IHK module, and is coded to the car. If you disconnected it with power on, you'll possibly need to recode it.
I've just done a similar mistake with on my 2004 545i today. I double checked that all the plugs are returned to their positions, and still no response from the control panel. Everything was working on the CP prior to be removing it from the dash.

If, as suggested, the IHK module needs to be re-coded, is this something only the dealer can do?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:35 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi manual

One thing I did when pulling out my AC controls to install an AUX jack that you may want to first check for is I blew the fuse for the AC system.

There is a heavy duty two pin connector for the A/C system that I discovered has live power and I shorted it against the radio chassis when I pulled it out. When I put the system back together the A/C panel was totally dead.

Check your fuses, I can't remember if this fuse was in the trunk or in the glove box.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Bingo! Thanks for sharing.

It was fuse #30 in the glove box, it was fried. Dealer wanted $200 to look at an electrical issue. You da man. thanks.

Back in the game

Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
One thing I did when pulling out my AC controls to install an AUX jack that you may want to first check for is I blew the fuse for the AC system.

There is a heavy duty two pin connector for the A/C system that I discovered has live power and I shorted it against the radio chassis when I pulled it out. When I put the system back together the A/C panel was totally dead.

Check your fuses, I can't remember if this fuse was in the trunk or in the glove box.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi manual

Sweet!

Quick Reply: ac/heater control panel problem after dash removal